Monday, September 26, 2011

Sleepers and Self Checkouts.........

Do you ever stray from your normal genre of books??? I like to do that once in a while....my normal being fantasy/thrillers/chillers/scifi/adventure fiction type books.....sometimes i just want ...i don't know...something different.... so i'll prowl around the book shelves in Hastings (my local book store) especially in the clearance section until i find an interesting title or maybe just cover art, glance at the first couple of pages to make sure i like the author's style of writing and take the path of the not usually read......I call them sleepers........The Secrets of Jin-shei was just such a book. What a wonderful book it turned out to be. The author introduces you to several young girls their lives destined to intertwine. She make you invest emotionally in these girls so you care what happens to them. I was worried i wouldn't be able to keep them all straight which sometimes happens when so many characters are introduced but in the end i had no trouble at all as they are all uniquely different. If your looking to immerse yourself in a story the spans a lifetime and full of Chinese tradition and folklore and a sisterhood then this is a book for you........
Hard to believe i found time to continue reading this while moving but i became so caught up in it that every free moment my nose was stuck in this book. Don't you just love books that pull you in like that?
On another note..........i read on the Internet news that some stores, mostly grocery stores are doing away with their self checkouts! All i can say is its about time! Hubby and i have boycotted these since their inception. We believe it does away with jobs........usually you see one cashier that will 'watch over' about 4 self checkouts in case their are problems. The way we see it thats 3 people without a job. Ofcourse its a toss up some store say they will keep them and some stores say they will do away with them. I guess some people find them convenient......to me sometimes you have to look at the bigger picture......the more they automate the less they need to employ.........
I'm also one of those annoying people that don't let checkers get away with bad service...........Sometimes i can go thru a line and the checker doesn't even give me a smile or an 'HEllo' or even a 'Thankyou' ...........I used to ignore that.........whatever.........but then i got to thinking one day about how i work customer service and how many days i smiled when i didn't feel like smiling......how i was friendly to the most obnoxious people and i got to thinking that i deserved at least that much in return......Do i complain to management??? ........I'm not beyond doing that if its really , REALLY bad or if i can't turn the situation around somewhat........but ever since i took it upon myself to be more friendly and open i make sure and engage the cashier. I start with a big smile and ' Hi how ya doing?'........really doesn't take much and usually that lightens things up and we chit chat thru out.......But then you run into some that are paying attention to everything around them but you......no matter what you do.....or flirting with their bagger if they have one.......or the ones that say nothing at all from start to finish totally ignoring your attempts at conversation.......
You know i get it ......i really do......cashiering sucks......been there done that for over 20 years. I know not every day is a cheery happy go lucky day.......but in my opinion it is their job and i know the employers expects at the very least to smile......say hi and thank me when i hand over my money........thats really not too much to expect.............So, thankyou.........have a great day......and come again! Hugs! deb

2 comments:

dirtycowgirl said...

testing

Sandra said...

I don't like the self check-outs either. Sometimes it takes me longer to get through it than it does a managed checkout. When you bring your own bags, nothing weighs as the machines expect and that really slows things down.
And if I'm not wearing my glasses, I can't see any of the numbers on the veggies/fruit so that I can weigh it... I'm all for going back to the way it was.