Sunday, November 6, 2011

Dream Machine Tutorial.......................

...........and a wise old owl......... Hubby and i went to the Veterans Day parade this past weekend. He drives the bus for the military base taking soldiers to and from the parade from the base. I get to sit in the front right by the bus driver (aka hubs) . Its so nice to see all those young men and women in uniform. Always make me think of my military days. They are always so respectful to my hubby and i . Its a 50 passenger bus so imagine 50 'thank you sirs' and a few 'thank you ma'am's' when they notice me. I mention to my hubby how nice that was for him that they were so respectful and he laughs and says . 'Now imagine that every day when i take several loads of them to chow and pick them up afterwards.' He said he used to reply to every single one of them but after a while he stopped, just too much.
While we were waiting for the parade to start we decided to check out the new library. And when i turned the corner there it was! My long lost owl! Although i'm sure he was probably only lost to me.......He used to be near the City Garden. Everytime i went i would kick myself for forgetting my camera cause i wanted a picture of him to use as a reference for drawing an owl. Then one day he was just GONE. Did someone steal him? Did he get vandalized ? What?? And then there he is at his post in front of the library. The library and the wise old owl. Perfect no? Since we've been at the apartment my recycling efforts have been strangled for lack of space. But i do still manage to cover my counter tops with saved aluminum cans and plastic drink bottles that i can't bring myself to throw away.....Well tucked away in a cubby hole , behind a pole outside the BX on the base hubs found the Dream Machine! where you can recycle aluminum cans and plastic bottles. Every few days hubs will take a grocery bag full and deposit them. Isn't he a sweety?? And just to cement his 'Sweety' status he agreed to be my model for this little tutorial........... On the front of the machine is a touch screen and as you follow the directions it will pop out a card for you to keep with you. Everytime you go to make a deposit you scan this card first and it will deposit your points into an account. I believe you get 5 points for every item. After you scan your card you scan your can's upc code......... Then deposit it in the little cubby hole........ Same with your bottles.... and in the hole............ When your all done it prints out a ticket showing you the website to go to , to see all your points and what you can purchase with your points.........To be honest........i'm not all that impressed with what they offer. An example would be 100 points for a $5 coupon at Target when you spend $25.....i mean its something. I recycle not expecting anything back but the good feeling i get from recycling. But if you need an incentive there you go! Now i hear they have machines like this in California that when they print the ticket, you take that ticket into the gas station or whatever that they are in front of and you get actual cash back. To me thats much better. But i wanted to introduce you to these things in case you see them when you are out and about you know what they are. So if you just finished that coke or whatever you can stick it in one of these instead of in the trash! I'm going to try to link the website here so you can explore further.....

4 comments:

Dosfishes at Sparkle Days Studios said...

We recycle everything and no cash back. I like the idea of a dream machine though. It would be great if their was one for trash that could turn it into energy. There a really big ones but wouldn't it be great to turn your trash into lights right in your own home? Love the owl. You would like the owls in our back yard. xox Corrine

Cro Magnon said...

Sounds time consuming, but better that than landfill.

re your paragraphs. Have you tried logging out, then logging in again. I've been told that this will solve certain probs..... but I promise nothing!

Bisou from France...Cro.

Cro Magnon said...

I think that should read 'sign out', not 'log out'. Old age!

Eileen Bergen said...

That machine reminds me of taking glass bottles back to the store for the deposit. We used to get a nickel each, I think.

Everything old is new again ;-)