Friday, May 4, 2012

Day Trip to San Francisco!

I don't think i had been here more than a week before a trip to San Francisco was planned and executed. :) I had the BEST tour guide, someone who truly loves the city and had a difficult time deciding what we could fit into one day. We parked the car in Dublin and rode the BART train into SF. This turned out to be a truly intelligent thing to do.......don't look so surprised...epiphanies do happen! Nobody had to worry about driving, directions, traffic, parking.....BUT you had to willing to walk everywhere you wanted to go or hop a bus or trolley....we.....WALKED everywhere! I tried to get these pictures in some sort of order as i loaded them but i didn't do a very good job. The above picture is as we entered Pier 39. The paintings on the buildings were marvelous. So many people! But then it is a Saturday after all. Started out a little cool but warmed up quick. What you don't know is we had a loooong walk from the Farmers Market to get here and we were STARVING! People were riding bicycles pulling benchcarts behind them....i know theres a name for them but i cannot think of it.......but they wanted $15 to take us to Pier 39....we decided to walk. So many places to eat there and music everywhere, birds, and you could eat inside or out on the deck......little shops selling everything you could imagine........big barrels of every color you could imagine bath salts that you could scoop yourself and fill containers.....the smelll......i cannot even describe it. A stop at Pier39 would not be complete without a visit to the sea lions. Apparently they have been missing for quite some time and have just recently returned to the area. I KNOW its because they knew i was coming :)! Stood there for quite some time just watching them and listening....... This picture of the mushrooms is just one of the many sights and sounds of the Farmer's Market. Lots of free samples to taste of everything you can imagine. I just loved the look of these mushrooms. A lady was trying to take what looked like a professional photograph of them while i was there.......at least she looked professional with a heck of a camera. This gentleman was playing the most beautiful, haunting music i have ever heard. I loved it so much i tipped him and he posed for me for this picture. I wish you could hear it. Anybody know what that instrument is called?? And then we have this very enthusiastic gentleman. :) My tour guide tells me he is there all the time and she tipped him while we were there. What i saw that Saturday perfectly fit my impression of San Francisco that i had in my head. Isn't that wonderful when that happens? Along with the Farmer's Market they have an Art Fair that occurs at the same time. You KNOW i was in HEAVEN! It made my soul sing! All the vendors were so friendly and willing to talk about their art. I could tell they really loved what they were doing. I had the wonderful idea of photographing them with their art and then would show-case them on my blog. Maybe send some sales their way.......... However that was not to be...........Nobody i asked had a website!!! Not even an Etsy account. Can you believe that?? Well i was so surprised anyway.......I felt for sure that most of the artists would have a Internet presence. ........so i tried.........i was thinking wow i could interview artists there and showcase them on my blog and help them out.........them not being on the Internet did not even occur to me.......i was so flabbergasted that i didn't even think that there could be other ways to contact them if you liked what you saw ie....phone number , address etc.......So anyway i have these two photos to show you they were both amazing booths. The gentleman in the pic above was so , so nice and his work was extraordinary. An these spirals......sigh......i just love them but at $25 a pop i'm thinking my hubby has a new 'honey do'........I did buy a few things though , i just need to take some photos of them. We also hiked up the hills to Coit Tower which sits on Telegraph Hill. Gorgeous views and totally worth the hike. You can also take a trolley up there if you don't want to hike. I wish we had done our homework a little more.......we did not go inside the tower but instead just enjoyed the views from the outside.......I was writing a friend a letter and did not know how to spell Coit so i googled it and found out we could have went inside where they have 20 murals that were painted in the 1930's that you can view for free. My guide thought the ride up to the top of the tower cost $30 so we didn't go but in reality it costs $3.75.......sigh......so i would like to go back there. Then we walked thru China Town on our meandering way back to the BART train.........China Town....a wonderful experience i'm glad i had but really not for me.........too crowded...to busy....you step in a store and the salesladies practically attack you and stay with you the whole time you are there. I know that is their custom but after a while it was so , so annoying.....walking around little grocery stores was so interesting. I saw lots of things i never even heard of much less ate. We had a great time! I look forward to going back. The train ride cost us $11 round trip. So SO worth it. This is the first of many adventures in our future! I hope you'll come along for every one!!! Hugs! deb

6 comments:

Murphy said...

I LOVE SF!!!!! Hubby and I were talking about how long it has been since we've been there. For awhile we went fairly often then just drifted away. How long of a drive is it from where you are? I am sooooooo jealous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

This is THE most wonderful post. I love that you are out exploring and all that exercise!! Are your legs killing you? Thanks so much for sharing pics of your first exploration.
xx, Carol

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Great fun day trip. Coit tower does give breathtaking views. Have only been once, but I remember all those little houses tucked into the hill on he way up. xox

Eileen Bergen said...

Could that instrument be a Chinese erhu?

[Don't be too impressed. I googled it ;-)]

Thanks for the fun travelogue of SF, Deb.

I love those spiral thingys too. Would love to have a few on my patio or outside my office window. Hmmm ...

Eden said...

Wow!! So lucky to go to San Francisco...I almost went ONCE...but I really really want to go! Love the pics...looks like you had a blast and it was quite the Artist's Date <3

Katiejane said...

HOW FUN!!! Thanks for taking us along on your excursion. I love day trips like these, don't you? SF sounds like a really hoppin' place.