Friday, August 17, 2012

Time for.............

.............another recycling post! :) Do you guys just turn away when you see i'm prattling on about recycling again? I don't blame you........its hard to make recycling exciting or glamorous.........but i've been bitten by the bug...what can i say......and i want to encourage others to at least try......at least make some small changes...........change is HARD........i know it is! I've been doing this for a couple years now and i still forget my grocery totes now and then. The important thing is that you try.
~
~I really wanted to talk about recycling in California...........its honestly been a blessing and much easier than recycling in my small town in TX. I was under the impression that recycling was mandatory in CA so i had myself all ready for that when i got here.....but......well maybe in some communities it is that way but not in mine. But they sure do make it easy to recycle. The apartment complex has trash bins set up just for recycling. I don't have to separate the items. So i have a sturdy(stand up on its own) tote bag next to the trash can and anything that is recyclable goes in there and when i take out the trash i take it out and dump it in the bin.....easy peasy......no different containers for glass, plastic, tin etc.........sooooo much nicer!
~
~Now the plastic drinking bottles and aluminum cans are worth $$$. Here in CA they charge a CRV tax at the register.......for those items. I think its .05 cents a bottle or can but there are recycling centers you can take these items to and get your money back........sometimes we do that .......sometimes we pass the cans onto someone down on their luck.......homeless etc......
~
~They also accept so much more here than in TX........TX they only took plastic #1 and #2 here they take #1 thru#7! and AND they take chipboard.......which they did not in TX. Chipboard is like your cereal boxes. Some i keep to paint postcards on ... thats recycling right?!...........I end up being able to recycle soooo much.....very little actually ends up in the trash can.
~
~You know you don't have to do it all at once..........you don't have to be a Recycling Maven, just start somewhere.........maybe just poke around in your community and see whats available. Then take a baby step.......Every little bit you save out of the city dump matters..... in my book anyway.......say you only remember your grocery totes once a month.......don't beat yourself up...pat yourself on the back...........just try.............Hugs! deb

4 comments:

Candace Jedrowicz said...

EcoHeidi Borchers and her sister (my producer) have taught me to embrace recycle art! When it grabs you, you are smitten! You never throw anything away until you have assessed it creatively for possibilities, and even then you it does not go in the trash. Recycle on, dear lady!

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Ok challenge for you. Only one 32 gallon trash bag every 8 weeks....We too take all palstic and have mixed use. I keep all my chipboard and use it too as you know....good post. I love recycling, upcycling and all manner of re use. xox

Kim Henkel said...

I agree REDUCE REUSE and RECYCLE is my mantra, and I so love the reuse part in so many things I create! Love the post!

Katiejane said...

I do recycle and have for years. You're right, it's not hard to get into the groove.
Love this recycled pelican!