Thursday, April 2, 2015

Color My World Purple............


This post is from a couple years ago... a few of you might remember.. I loved this project.... It was tedious to do but the endgame was worth it..  I don't say in the post but the seed pod is from a magnolia tree... I finished off the top of the pot a little nicer but darn if i can find that photo...  I hope you enjoy my recyled craft.. Linking yet again with Elizabeth's crew.....Hugs deb


............each little seed pocket has taken at least 3 coats of purple and i still need to go back and 
touch up the green here and there.......I've run into a snag .....again........that requires a trip to the craft store.........maybe this weekend...........but i wanted to at least give you a peek in the direction i'm going......


..............can you see them???little glass teardrops!  These are not glued in yet as i'm still doing touchups on the paint but i wanted to show you where i was headed..........the snag is not all the seed pockets are large enough for this tear drop........some are quite small....barely open and the smallest i will just leave painted purple but some of them are open enough i could stick a smaller glass bead in there....so.....i will take a look this weekend and see what i can find...........

So what do you think ??  Cool?........pretty? I've been wondering if i should top off the tree with anything...a star ? If i do it will throw it right into the Christmas realm but if i leave it with no topper i could probably get away with displaying it all year........thoughts?  Ideas for the base are coming along...the trick is to make the base heavy enough because the seedpod is pretty top heavy. Well wish me luck! Have a wonderful weekend! Suppose to rain here......100% chance Fri and Sat.... Good days to hibernate and craft! Hugs! deb

12 comments:

CraftyViolet said...

Looks lovely and I agree, if you don't put a topper on it it will be good for the year, not just for Christmas.

Whimsey Creations said...

Oh those are going to be gorgeous! And I'd leave the star off so I could use it year round! The green almost looks velvety - really cool!

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Looks pretty amazing so far.....Merry Christmas. xox

Eileen Bergen said...

Way cool! Don't go for Christmas. This should be out all year. I see it as a tabletop topiary. Love the purple beads!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I've admired the completed assembly on your sidebar forever. I had no idea how you created it, but now I have a better idea. The fact that you added the heavier base not only gave it weight, it gave it visual appeal, too. This is a wonderful entry and I'm so glad you shared it.

Thanks for joining during your last week in CA, and for your last Second on the 2nd there, too. So glad you were able to post this.

Krisha said...

Very clever idea and I love the end results.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Just read your question about why I waited to stamp the image. If you noticed, the stamp was very small, and had I stamped it first, then shrunk the circle, you would not have been able to make the stamped image out. Having a larger stamp would have worked if I shrunk after I stamped. Hope that explained it.

~*~Patty S said...

What a lovely and original creation Deb!
Those colors are gorgeous together and make such an interesting piece.
Things in nature are always winking at me. Great what you've done with that seedhead.
oxo

denthe said...

This is so beautiful and delicate... I also like the colourcombination.

Jeanne said...

What a cool thing to do with that magnolia seed pod! I have a huge magnolia and think I will definitely adopt that project. Also had to laugh when you commented on how you hate 4 wheelers. I love mine and find a lot of gratitude that I have a huge area to ride where there are not people to bother me. Love those empty mountains! also bet that you will have more appreciation for wheels when you are 67 instead of 47. Needing two hip replacements sure has made me appreciate a way to still get up in the mountains and enjoy the sights, and lucky me it is a totally deserted area. LOL

johanna said...

i´ll have to look at magnolias closer in the future, i never realized These seedpots - they look gorgeous. you Chose such a fantastic Color Combo. very unique!

Nicole Rose said...

This is irresistibly delightful. :)