Monday, December 17, 2012

Congratulations !!!!


...........................to Jill and June for guessing Magnolia Tree seed pods! And thank you to everyone who played along! Hubby found these laying in the Staples parking lot. It took me a second to realize what they were then my craft brain kicked in and it was like surely i can DO something with these.....I've had a couple suggestions of spray painting them gold and i'm pretty sure after all this is over with i'm gonna wish i had done just that.  :) 

..............but no..........when i look at these i see a little mini tree......sigh.....I've learned to stop fighting my imagination and just go with it.........so i painted it a metallic peridot green and honestly i LOVE the way that came out....the pictures do not do it justice....the metallic really shows the texture of the pods which is kind of furry and fuzzy..........lots of nooks and crannies........tedious....turned on the Christmas music and sang along while i painted......I was in my element....for some reason i gravitate toward the tedious and time consuming projects.........sigh...........at some point you just gotta quit fighting it...LOL!

Then i ran into my first snag...............Do your craft projects always turn out the way you intended?? Well mine sure don't.....but i try to roll with the punches and usually end up with something worthwhile.....so we'll see........okay the parts i didn't paint green (not including the stem) the little holes where the seeds would have been ..........well i had a vision of staining that with wood stain to keep some of the natural element.  it was shiny and i had some misgivings that the stain would not stick and i was right the stain did not stick.......sigh.......okay what now?   I love metallic paint and own several colors but purple is always close to my heart....AND i LOVE green and purple together........i know some people do not and i  really think its either a love or hate relationship but me LURVE!.....So this is where i'am at now and the purple is taking a couple coats.........as you can see the stem did take the stain and i like that....Many more steps to come.........Hugs! deb

3 comments:

Lori said...

Can you harvest a few seeds out of that and grow new plants?

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

They look positively prehistoric don't they. xox

Whimsey Creations said...

I think it's fabulous dahling! And I can't wait to see it finished.