Sunday, December 23, 2012

The Hobbit Movie Review..........

............Raindrops and Cactus.........I miss my plants from Tx.........what can i say? I get attached. :) Many of them i had nursed back to health from the clearance rack. One of my favorite is the Christmas Cactus.........I suppose it evokes strong memories of my grandmother........she had a very old ,woody, misshapen one that for most of the year was banished to the back screened in porch but this time of year it came into its glory...kind of like an ugly duckling.......so this year....in our new home i bought three for my window sill....each of a different color and it felt like a warm hug from grandma.......

I know your looking for The Hobbit review....and its coming........but i wanted to show you a peek in the craft room...........I cannot tell you how fabulous it is to have more than one work station........its the best decision i've made.....I'm showing you two here........the third one has something rather morbid i'm working on......morbid for this time of year anyway.....its more for Halloween. I'll wait until at least after the Holidays to share it. :).......I wanted to start working on some of the oldest projects and that was it!

This tote bag given to us by the VA when we first arrived has fabulous long handles on it and the weave in the canvas it wonderfully tight and small so at the very least i thought i would use it as a practice painting canvas........I'd like to paint on totebags.........just not sure how to go about it........see the black outlines thats fabric paint in a big bottle with a pointy tip ....difficult to work with........at least for me......my lines are very shaky......and of different thickness....depending on the pressure i put on the bottle.......maybe that would get better with practice....not sure........The other lines in the corners with the green is using a fabric roller pen......looks neater and a little easier to handle but i had to go over it a couple times.........I'm having fun! I love experimenting!

........And now that you've been so patient i'll give you my thoughts on The Hobbit........First i guess you should know i LOVED the book........haven't read it in years and probably should go back and reread it.....so i cannot tell you how closely the movie followed the book all i can do is give you my opinion on the movie........I LOVED the Lord of the Rings books AND the movies......I think the LOTR movies were a great credit to the books. I consider them epic and tend to compare all other movies to them..........The Hobbit........It was to their credit to use some of the actors from the LOTR movies.......I'm not sure i cared for the way they portrayed the dwarves...some of them were fine but others were just a little too comical and i think they missed the mark.......This very much comes across as a 'B' rated Lord of the Rings movie......to me anyway it was obvious they did not spend the time or money on the Hobbit that they spent on the Ring movies.  If it makes any sense to you it did not have the 'weight' or 'presence' of the Ring movies......Oh they tried and there were some sparkling moments...I would have watched the movie just for the scene of Bilbo and Gollum and the 'Guessing Game'in the cave....wonderful! The actor who played the dwarf leader Thorin was wonderful too, he has a great onscreen presence....In some places it seemed the returning actors forgot how to play their characters and did not behave as they would have in LOTR movies......ahh...am i being picky?......probably....and you should go its a great ride....Am i glad i went........a resounding YES!.....One huge disappointment i will mention though......I heard rumors of people feeling sick after watching the movie and it was because they used a higher speed film......well i can tell you we did not feel sick but there were many blurry moments in the film that was very disappointing.......whenever the camera would pan quickly everything blurred.......I think they used the higher speed film because it was also made as a 3D version and i guess that works better with 3D. We don't like 3D (read I don't like) so we saw the regular version... All that blurriness was pretty bad.....maybe it will be better when it comes out on video ......So even though i have some misgivings about it and it didn't quite live up to my expectations the movie did get better as it progressed.......is it worth going to the theatre?  Yes! Go! Gorgeous scenery shots and definitely some meaningful heartwarming moments.......Merry Christmas All! Hugs! deb

5 comments:

Lori said...

The Hobbit was my favorite of all of Tolkien's books. I worry that they took Bilbo's whimsical character and changed it to the heaviness of the later books. I hope that is not the case. I worry with making 3 movies out of it that happened. We are hoping to see it soon as soon as the crowds die down.

CraftyViolet said...

Believe it or not, I have not read or seen any of Tolkien's books/movies. I must remedy that in 2013.

I really like your Chrismtas cactus. My mother, God rest her soul, gave me one time and the silly thing bloomed at Halloween, never at Chritmas. So, of course, we renamed it the Halloween Cactus.
Funny I haven't thought of that in years but it came rushing back when I saw your photo.

Elly said...

Thanks for your honest review about the hobbit movie. I'm going to watch the movie in two days. Maybe it's an advantage, that i didn't read the book already.- I'm sorry that i can't offer you a tutorial for altering bottles on my blog, because i've learned the painting techniques at Andy Skinner's Online Workshop, which i can really approve if you're interested in mixed media.( I don't earn money to say this *lol*) You can find the links to the workshops on the right side of my blog. Just click on the Delegate Pictures or have a look at Mr. Skinner's blog
http://andyskinnerorg.blogspot.de/
I wish you a Merry Christmas and thanks so much for beeing an appreciated follower.(:o)
Elly

http://afancifultwist.typepad.com said...

I am soooooo glad you reviewed the hobbit!! Hoooray! Sad it wasn't super awesome, but it sounds like it's still good to watch. I'll wait for video ;)

Oh and YAY YAY YAY for extra craft space, awesome!!

Merry Christmas!!

Love, V

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I dropped by to wish you a very Merry Christmas that is filled with joy and happiness. BTW, I am in LOVE with your art!!