Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Experimenting......

Do you like to experiment?? I LOVED science class....especially Biology......And once in awhile in every day life something will pop in my head and i'll go 'Hey...i could do an experiment!' LOL!  I have these bulb vases . I had three but one didn't survive the trip from TX.  I was at Orchard hardware store........never heard of them before CA but they are everywhere here.....A nice smaller, convenient place to go if you need something quick and don't want to run all the way over to the big orange box or blue box......In , out, DONE!  Okay this is not an advertisement for Orchard. lol THIS is an experiment Bwaaahhaaaaa!!!!!  Well they had bulbs for sale 75% off......most of them had seen better days but i did find a package of hyacinth bulbs that looked viable .........

I wondered.......and yes all experiments first start with a question......Do you question things alot?? I do. I like to know the 'why' of things.......I wondered what would happen if i put bottled water in one vase and tap water in the other.........maybe nothing...but then again maybe SOMETHING! :) The first thing i noticed was that the root system on the tap water(on the right) has grown much more quickly and is very profuse and full and the bottled water one (on the left)is a little skimpy....Could that be because of the water???

Hubby thinks it is......he says the tap water has alot more minerals and such in it helping the plant to grow....bottled water has nothing in it to help the plant......I think he's right but since this is not a tightly controlled experiment there could be other factors....like one bud vase is larger than the other......also even though they are the same variety of plant (hyacinth) their genetic make up could be different......thats why you can plant two of the same tree in your yard and one could do better than the other just because one may be genetically stronger......anyway so there could be other factors involved than just water but i think its interesting about the roots...

I LOVE spring flowers......tulips and daffodils and crocus and paperwhites but none of them smell like spring to me like the hyacinth....... I cannot wait until the wonderful scent permeates my kitchen......stay tuned! Hugs! deb

3 comments:

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Probably does have something to do with the water, I agree with hubs. xox

Kim Andersen said...

I'll bet he's right :)

Eileen Bergen said...

I think he's right too. It's not likely the smaller container. That would - if anything - restrict the growth.

Cool experiment. Makes me wonder about drinking all that filtered purified water. Would we get more nutrients if we could drink unfiltered water?

I'm not gonna' test that one down here in rural Mexico!