Monday, February 4, 2013

Rollin' , rollin' , rollin'...........


Still working on the little Tree..........You might be wondering what i could possible be using these little balls for.............well that will be revealed next post........when i reveal the finished tree....... These little suckers were deceptively difficult to make.......i don't know if i should be admitting to that or not........i mean how difficult can it be to make little round balls out of polymer clay??? I tried to use the airdry clay like i did in the pot but i could not get them to smooth out....no matter how i kneaded it and rolled it , the balls still had little cracks in them...so hence the polymer clay.....

For me it took several tries to actually get a 'round' ball........When you are working that tiny you just can't roll it between your palms or you end up with an oval shape....or a beveled shape ......whatever shape it was it was not round........if you needed any other shape than round i could have hooked you up!lol..........Well finally i figured it out, that i needed to use the very tip of my index finger to roll the ball on my palm ......once i got the hang of it ,l it went pretty quick but geesh talk about a learning curve......then i baked them in the oven the required time and you know what???Clay gets lighter after its baked........not in color but in weight.....is that a revelation only to me?? Did you guys know that?? lol.......OH! and i added a wood block to the base to make it more stable, covering it in some really cool scrapbook paper......Stay tuned! The finished tree will be making its debut this week!

3 comments:

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

It is harder to work with the clay that we think, I have a buddy who does amazing things with polymer clay and she gave me some lessons......Looks interesting, can't wait to see it finished. xox

Eileen Bergen said...

At 1st I thought that was a plate of peas! And now the Rawhide song will be running through my head the rest of the day - lol.

Oo... oo... I knew that! When I 1st started playing with polymer clay, I noticed that homemade clays got A LOT lighter by weight. To me, that meant the cured objects would be more porous and less durable.

So I researched it and made a Clay Shrinkage Chart on The Artful Crafter.

I'd forgotten the little tip about using your finger tip to roll small balls. Thanks a bunch for working that out for us.

CraftyViolet said...

I struggle with Polymer clay too. I've done a few simple projects but nothing too complicated. I like covering the pens with clay the best.

Looking forward to seeing the finished project!