Tuesday, May 14, 2013

A Recipe for my Guinea Pigs....

.........don't forget to put your name in the hat for a painted bookmark by leaving a comment on this post!

Now, lets talk cookies! I'm no chef or baker and if truth be told i don't even LIKE to cook..... I cook...well because who can afford to eat out every night? :)  AND i cooked more when i had children in the house.......now that its just hubby and i well lets say my cooking to eating out ratio has fallen to a new low......lol....... but...BUT there is one thing that has kept me going all these years in the kitchen......... I LOVE to try out new recipes and if they don't work out the first time i love experimenting and tweaking them to fit our taste buds.  This has resulted in a HUGE stack of recipes, some tried and true and others wait to be discovered. It..........keeps things interesting........lol .  My family has been my guinea pigs all these years. They are fearless! :) And there have been some doozies. 

Some of the recipes are torn from magazines......some are copied from borrowed cookbooks........or cookbooks on loan from the library and now that we are settled in our new home i've been snagging one or two when i plan a weeks worth of meals.  The above picture is Cracker Barrel Raisin Cookie.........I've had this recipe so long i have no idea if we are talking about the Cracker Barrel Restaurant or not...  This recipe had some 'odd for me' ingredients and directions. I'm sure thats why i copied it down in the first place. Ingredients like sour cream.....in a cookie???hmm.... and soak the raisins in boiling water for 10 minutes and toss with a little lemon juice.......hmmm...do you bake a lot is this normal??Why the lemon juice? Anyway i made them last night and added one little tweak called chocolate chips and they were YUMMY! They don't spread out and they are cakey in texture. Not too sweet....in fact if you don't add the chocolate chips i'd consider adding more sugar.........Here's the recipe if you want to give it a go.......

                                    Cracker Barrel Raisin Cookie


Boiling water                                  3cups Raisins
Soak the raisins in the boiling water for 10 minutes
Drain in strainer and spread out on paper towels
to dry while you prepare the rest....................

Cream together............
2 sticks of butter or margarine,      1 1/2 tsp vanilla,
3/4c sugar ,  3/4c brown sugar,  1 egg,  2/3 c sour cream.

In a separate bowl combine........
4c flour,           1 tsp baking soda,        1 tsp salt,
1/2 tsp nutmeg

Slowly combine the wet and dry ingredients then fold in a bag of milk chocolate chips ............squeeze a little lemon on the raisins and toss to coat then fold into the cookie dough.....I have no idea why the lemon juice , nor did hubby have a clue if you do please tell.....there was no measurement for the amount of lemon juice....that could be a mistake on my part while copying the recipe ...not sure....

Chill dough in frig for an hour ..........roll into tsp size balls and flatten a little with your fingers or a fork. 375 degrees for 13 minutes....Very , very good cookie..... Around here we rate things good.......Very good........Excellent.......or........Eh...okay....Edible....and NEVER MAKE THAT AGAIN!

I'll share more as i experiment. Let me know if you give these a try! Hugs! deb

2 comments:

CraftyViolet said...

I love to experiment with recipes too - and I don't like to measure and I don't write down what I do. Joe gets annoyed when he really likes something I make and we both know I'll never be able to duplicate it!
I'm not a cookie eater and Joe only eats chocolate chip cookies that I make for him so I'll pass on making these ones.

My mother used to soak raisins in hot water before she added them to her butter tarts. Her recipe said to wring them out well first though.

Eileen Bergen said...

I know about soaking raisins to plump them up. They just have a better mouth feel that way.

And raisins go really well with something acidic added - even though the result is sweet. I have a great family recipe from my m-i-law for raisin sauce to go with Easter ham.

It uses vinegar and the flavor is to die for - but sweet. One thing though - the recipe specifies to pour the vinegar in very sloooowly. Please explain that one. My m-i-l couldn't. So I ignore it. lol

I bet the sour cream is to give the soft cake-y consistency. And the sour cream probably helps enhance the raisins as well.

P.S. If you want our fmnily recipe for raisin sauce, I'm happy to share ;-)