Friday, July 26, 2013

I'm a Little Late.........


............to the birdy bandwagon.....but then i'm almost a always a little behind the 8ball......I think most people might be getting a little tired of seeing the little birdy thing.....but i have yet to own any. So i decided to make my own or....guess i should say 'decorate' my own 'cause i bought these cute birdy shapes at the craft store....picked out some scrapbooking paper i fell in love with from 'the Paper Studio' and got to work....this is a picture heavy post but hey i wanted to show you what i was up to on my little 'Summer Break'..


I used the little birdy to outline the shapes on the scrapbook paper...and cut them out.....easy peasey......



I painted the birdies a dark chocolate brown.....


and just so you don't think it was allll easy peasy.... i wanted to show you my first little birdy decoupage attempt...um...yeah...not good....when i tried to decoupage this i got terrible bubbles underneath and the more i tried to smooth it the worse it looked until finally i decided it was not salvageable ....luckily i had enough paper to cut out another birdy.  
    
To make it easier on myself.....i do tend to do things the hard way...instead of putting Mod Podge on the WHOLE bird then carefully line up the paper and try to smooth it all out.... I only put the Mod Podge on a small portion...like in the above picture...lined things up and smoothed it out with guess what???

    

an old gift card...It Worked Like A Charm!!...then i carefully lifted up the edge of the paper...added more Mod Podge and smoothed it out with the gift card...not a wrinkle or a bubble one....


...........they really went together lickety split after that.  This next part i'm still debating whether i like it or not....I had a wood post left over from another project and i cut it into varying heights....painted it the same dark brown....and with just a spot of glue attached the birds.......


I decided i'm going to live with them awhile first to see if i like them on that post......I have all this wonderful shelf space above my kitchen cabinets to fill with curios and this is just the beginning.

........tell me what you think .....to post or not to post...that is the question....i like them at the varying heights....maybe its the shiney finish on the post i'm not liking...i can fix that......Love to hear what you think ....Its the first spot of color in the house!  Hugs! deb


I want to thank everyone for your kind words and support thru Jennibellie. You'll never know just how much it means to me.....

6 comments:

CraftyViolet said...

I love the birds!..and I like them on the posts...but yeah, the shiny posts don't do a thing for me. My eye went to the posts first instead of the birds....but maybe i'ts just me.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

LOVE EM!!! Never get tired of birds. Never get enough of them either. We are revamping the kitchen and your birds would be perfect for the top of a cabinet that does not extend to the ceiling. THANKS!!

Wendy said...

I love your birdies. I like the posts, except I think they'd look much better with a weathered crackle effect. Wendy

Maria said...

I LOVE them! Go for it...

Eileen Bergen said...

Definitely, keep the posts. Perfect finishing touch. They look very cute up there.

Lynnie @ Vintage Gal Style said...

I just love little bird and they are great to have for decor. You did a lovely job on these.

Over from You're Gonna Love It.

Lynnie