Monday, August 12, 2013

DayTripping to San Francisco!


I've heard so much about Scrap in San Francisco. A place
artist can go to get supplies on the cheap.  Weekend before last i finally got to go check it out in person!  Wow! So much stuff crammed in that building ! Its in the warehouse district and a little hard to find but apparently its not a secret as a lot of people were in there shopping! And honestly i think its for more people than just artists...In the spirit of Recycling, you will find anything and everything you could possibly imagine having a second life. A quick list.......stained glass, ceramic tile, greeting cards without envelopes, envelopes without cards..... , posters, wine corks, wood, old pic frames, buttons, thread, fabric, rubber stamps, empty, sturdy candy boxes, sea shells, mailing tubes and envelopes  gift bags and that just barely scratches the surface . I think the best way to walk thru there is to not really have anything particular your looking for in mind because you never know what your gonna find,or what might inspire you......So if you ever get the chance..Go Scrap! PS. I know theres been alot of negative feedback on Yelp about the older lady behind the counter. I was a little hesitant to go. I mean who wants to go there to get yelled at? But honestly , if its the same lady, she is not overly friendly but she rang up my items and everything was pleasant enough.  I think maybe it might get to her when you want to haggle about the prices. The prices are already dirt cheap honestly.....anyway just wanted to let you know i did not have a bad experience with her......


We walked and walked and walked and walked until i though my feet were gonna fall off then we sat a while and walked and walked and walked some more.....I had a very relentless 'partner in crime' who is half my age :)  ....but look at the beautiful flowers i got to see while trudging up ANOTHER hill! Its a bougainvillea vine that just exploded up the side of that house. Gorgeous! 
We found ourselves on Haight Street. Hippie town! So many cute little stores. We had a lot of fun looking at everything. Great place to people watch too.  

I just HAD to stop and get ice cream here! Such a fun trip. So nice to 'Get out of Dodge' every once in a while.  Can anyone recommend another area of SF i should not miss? I've heard there are great stores on Valencia St and Mission St? Of course i'm not all about the stores......I love the board walk and Golden Gate Park.....so just any little ole' thing you might suggest...........Hugs! deb

4 comments:

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Would love a visit to Scrap, looks like a really fun day. xox

Lori said...

I love the look of Haight street. CA is not for me, though LOL!

CraftyViolet said...

I would love to go to SF and to Scrap - sounds right up my alley. Actually the SF 49rs football team is my son-in-law's (and now my dtr and grandsons) favorite team. Sounds like you had an awesome day.

Eileen Bergen said...

Thanks for the Yelp rebuttal, Deb.

My son opened a new hamburger joint in Oakland. They're not just plain old hamburgers. Think homemade catsup, all sorts of fresh greens, in fact, almost everything is locally sourced and fresh, fresh, fresh ...

I can't believe what some people write in Yelp reviews about Victory Burger. It makes me wonder if they're actually competitors.

I can't help with ideas about San Francisco. We've been there twice recently and haven't gotten beyond Fishermen's Wharf yet!