Monday, August 5, 2013

Stumbling Rocks........


......I thought it was about time i updated you on the Mermaid drawing.....I've hit a few stumbling blocks.....which are really rocks.....hence the title.....I LOVE how things are turning out in the picture above....'I' who DOES NOT DRAW PEOPLE ...and yes that belongs in capital letters....thinks the Mermaids turned out great!  The skin color and rosy cheeks and even the little dimples in the one above I'am so very happy with.  I also love all the details in the squiggly lines in the rocks.....Where i'm running into trouble is...




I canNOT make up my mind what color to color the rocks.....Keeping in mind that all the background in the middle will be a turquoise blue to really set off the orange hair....As you can see in the picture above i've tried gray and brown and green mixed with grey......I just cannot decide.......And everyone i ask is of a different opinion........  


I'm a little further along than these pictures suggest........and you may wonder why i'am mixing the colored rocks.........?.......Well ultimately this drawing is a test drawing . I want to paint it on canvas and here is where i'am trying out all my color combinations.........

I'll take some more pictures of the progress but i'd love to know what you think ........down at the bottom right in the picture above you can see the different color rocks. I know which one draws my eye (I'll tell you next post).....which one catches yours? Its so funny I asked two people close to me what color rock they liked and they  both had different opinions and even different from my own choice.......Hmmm maybe all three would work so there is no clear cut answer here?  but...BUT if someone were twisting your arm...which one would you choose??  OR .....OR.......maybe you have a totally new color combination in mind!  Sometimes i KNOW exactly the direction i want a drawing to go......i have all the colors picked out in my head ahead of time and sometimes ...like now...i get stuck........ Hugs! deb!

4 comments:

Wendy said...

Deb, I really like the rocks in the corner that are shades of brown the best. Although, you could alternate the rock colors in the same pattern that they are now to give the rock border an even more interesting look. I think that would be kind of fun & it definitely looks like a fun piece. I can't wait to see how this turns out. Wendy

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Go look at some true underwater pics. Mostly those rocks are greyish with different color shadings. Bu the brown catches your eye and makes a good border. Perhaps rocks in brown hues from dark to lighter. I am not an artist so I'm sure you will determine what you like best.
xx, Carol

BTW: I absolutely love the whimsy of your mermaids!

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Quite elaborate and sweet this piece. Love your multicolored rocks and urchins and all the things peeking about with the mermaids. xox

CraftyViolet said...

This is turning out to be just lovely. I like all the rock colours and I think it would be nice if you mixed them up all around the edge instead of all the same colour. It would keep the eye moving around the paper - just my opinion and I'm no expert!