Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Biting Off More ............



..............than you can chew....... have you ever done that?....  I seem to make a practice of it..... and thankfully it has never come back and bitten me on the a**........( knock on wood)  And i'm very , very thankful neither hubby or i were hurt on this expedition.... because it could have gone very wrong...............now that the disclaimer is out of the way..... pretty much.... I still have to admit that the biting off more than we could chew  part was entirely my fault as i was the trip planner for this adventure ( and hubby will never let me forget it).. sigh...  



After our idyllic morning walk on the beach and morning breakfast we continued on to one of my favorite parks, Point Reyes National Seashore. Here is a link to the map. If you scroll in close you can see the trails...  Our itinerary was Bear Valley Trl to Arch Rock, pick up Sky Trl then Old Pine Trl back to Bear Valley Trl ... basically a big circle...... emphases on BIG.... sigh...  


If you look at the map ... i purposely stayed away from any trails that had red arrows on them indicating 'Steep Trail".  I thought i had taken in to account my husbands bad knees and our general 'out of shapeness'....   But there were a few things i didn't take into account.... I'll get to that...... I don't want you to think it was all doom and gloom......   



.........Everything was so beautiful and green..........  Where we live in Central CA is so brown and dead looking from the drought..... that all the green was a delight for the senses... running water here and there...... every available surface had moss or ferns growing on it...... I had a sense if i sat still too long it would grow on me too...


..........and when you walk out of the trees the great expanse of the ocean greets you........  Where we sat and had the packed lunch we brought

......and shared with some very friendly little birds......who would grab and run with whatever you gave them , then come back for more...... absolutely no fear...... 



.........As you can see there are no more pictures.......... and we've only made it to Arch rock.........  Lets just say........ what one person ( the map maker) considers 'not steep' can be totally different to another person........ Sky Trl..... has a new name.....  $##@$^^&&&!!!!**&^%$!!!!!!!!! Trl.........  not to be mentioned in polite company.......  Hubby suggested more like Outer Space Trl.... I'm afraid i had the more colorful language.....   

So what i thought was a well planned out trip quickly deteriorated .  We had our day packs, two water bottles each..... trail mix, oranges, sandwiches, map, knife, walking poles..... what we did not have was the flash light i laid my hand on that morning before leaving the house but did not take it....... My hubby would say i left my common sense at home too....... sigh  ....... Before it was over i would have given my right arm for that little penlight.

At some point the camera around our neck just felt like a dead weight and neither of us thought of taking any more pictures... And oh my goodness the vistas and scenery and incredibly old forests were unbelievable......  Sky Trl went up and up and up and then up some more....  The beautifully maintained trail you see at the beginning deteriorated to nothing more than a ditch......  By the time we hooked up with Old Pine Trl we were quickly reaching the end of what our bodies could handle...... We had burned off breakfast and lunch and our bellies were grumbling ....... and we had just finished off the last of our water.........intermittent cell phone service and if that wasn't bad enough it was starting to get dark...... stay tuned.....   :) Hugs! deb







4 comments:

CraftyViolet said...

Oh my oh my! I am feeling your pain! Can't wait to hear the rest of the story.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Lions and Tigers and Bears..O My!!

xx, Carol

Country Girl said...

My husband used to talk about that park when we were young. Oh my gosh. This sounds ominous.

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Uh oh...how quickly fun can turn to oops what now...reading today's post to find out what happened. xox