Friday, February 28, 2014

Fourth Friday Challenge..........


 HI there!!! I'm taking part in June's Fourth Friday Challenge over there at A Creative Dreamer. What really challenges me?? Paint... Painting on canvas in particular. Why....... ?  I think......oh boy....yes...I think i fear failing...... fear of it not turning out how i want it to.... What exactly do i think will happen if its a failure?  I don't know...... Maybe i think the sky will fall.....the world will come to an end..... I. don't. know.  But its there..... And its something i have to deal with if i want to paint....and i SO want to paint.......  So........ for this Challenge i took a deep breath and put a brand spanking new canvas on my brand spanking new easel courtesy of my wonderful hubby and i got busy...... In the pic above i crinkled up and the tore up some tissue paper and applied it to the canvas with Mod Podge........ I have to tell you that was so relaxing and so much fun...........  

 ...........then i started putting white and antique white acrylic paint on the canvas...... i got so frustrated with the paint brush not blending it how i wanted that i said to myself what i really wanna do is use my fingers........so i did....... lol....... I turned the music up and started dabbing away...... 



Its so funny....... If you look at the canvas you can tell what song was playing on the radio........ Michael Jackson's 'Beat it' produce short choppy little strokes but say Cyndi Lauper's 'Time After Time' produced long smooth strokes......... so funny....... I regret all that wild , music induced finger painting as the texture of it tends to cover up the fine texture i produced with the tissue paper...... lesson learned....... But oh my ....... it was so much fun.......:)


I apologize for the lighting........ Its really horrible...... But California is seeing some much needed rain! Woohoo!!! And you will NEVER hear me complain about the rain.......   

Here's a little hint about where this is going........This month's Fourth Friday Challenge got me started and i'm shooting for next month's challenge to get me to the finish line with this painting......or pretty darn close...... I can't wait to see what everybody else has been working on! Hugs! deb

5 comments:

Izzybeads by Laney said...

I used to paint lot and was encouraged to try more abstract work so I used the 'strings' from Corn on the cob (I am hoping the US call them the same as here in the UK ;) ) using PVA glue I stuck all the 'strings' down and then used that as my surface for a painting which now hangs at the top of my stairs, I then went on to using torn fabric and even the dried paint that was around the nozzle on the tubes :) Can't wait to see where your painting takes you.

CraftyViolet said...

I haven't been doing any mixed media work for a couple of months but I'm starting to get the itch again. Love your background!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

This is gonna be cool! Glad you got off to a great start. I can't imagine what it will look like when you put your design on it, but knowing you, I'm going to love it.
xx, Carol

ACreativeDream June Crawford said...

I love the background! It's well known that I am always mucking about in the paint with my fingers, my knees.. sometimes the elbows get in the way... it's just so much more fun to get really involved and "feel" the art while you're making it! Can't wait to see where it ends up!

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

Will that beautiul texture be difficut to paint over? I too am daunted by the idea of painting on canvas, but then I'm daunted by the idea painting on paper as well ;-)