Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Meet My New Friend........


Gamsol....... My friend Violet over there at Crafty Violet's Chaos let me in on this little secret a little while ago. I've been trying to get some good pictures to show you just what Gamsol can do for you. And i think i've finally done it..... I'm pretty sure you can click on the picture to enlarge it and i hope you do so you can see what i'm talking about.........


I'd never heard of Gamsol before have you?? Gamsol can take a colored pencil drawing like the one above and turn it into 


THIS!! Can you tell the difference? I hope you can. You dip a blending stump in the Gamsol then rub it over your colored pencil and with a little patience it blends all the pencil strokes together seamlessly.... like ...well like magic! On the bottle it says it is made of pure mineral spirits.....

I had also heard you could use baby oil to achieve the same effect...... i tried that........ I did  some blending with the baby oil because it is the cheaper way to go but i do not believe it blended as well as the Gamsol...... And honestly i have used the Gamsol on several drawings now and have barely made a dent on the contents. So a little goes a long way.....  

I have also heard that Gamsol works better with the better quality colored pencils . I first tried it on my drawings with Crayola pencils which i have used for years..... I saw a little blending but honestly i was disappointed...... i thought there would be more....... THEN  i used it on my Prismacolor pencils and WOW!  The pictures on this post were done with Prismacolor pencils....... I believe its because they have more pigment. But what ever it is ....I'm just calling it MAGIC! Thank you so much Violet! You definitely added a new dimension to my artwork! Hugs! deb

**Anybody care to hazard a guess as to what this drawing is gonna be?  :)

6 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I sure don't know what these circles could be, but I bet I'm going to like them!
xx, Carol

CraftyViolet said...

So glad you tried out the gamsol. Thanks for the plug. I was sure you would like it. It makes the colouring with pencils look like Copic markers. I bought a bottle with a sponge top so I just have to turn it over to wet the sponge bit and then I hold my blending stumps on it to absorb the gamsol. No fumes and no worry about spilling it.

I have no idea what the circles are but they are beautiful so far.

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Never heard of it before, but then, I am sure there are lots of nifty supply tricks we could all use. Does give your work a nice soft quality which I like. xox

Rachael Farmer said...

That's an interesting tip... I'm really picky with coloured pencils for blending and won't stray far from my Faber Castell artists pencils as they blend like a dream, (like I'll only use Derwent for watercolour pencils!)but this makes me wonder whether this would make cheaper ranges more versatile? Hmmm.....

I don't know how useful this is, but often I'll add a faint 'undercoat' of soft graphite under coloured pencil as that makes dry blending REALLY easy...does alter colours a bit though. Creates a nice muted effect.

Thank you for a great post and for sharing your tips - hugs from Shroo:)x

Denise said...

So interesting and fun.I also enjoyed reading everyone else's comments too.There is so much to learn from other artist.I forget things now so easy-I'm writing these things down.Thanks for visiting Me and commenting on My post.Continue to have fun :)Denise

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

Cool!

I think I may try mineral spirits on the spring postcard for June's current swap. I needed some inspriration to get going on that.

Thank you, girlfriend!