Friday, May 9, 2014

I've dusted off.........

Click to enlarge

............the hobbit door painting again..... this time i tackled the basket weave. I didn't think i was EVER going to make it look right....even when i'm drawing in pencil my basket weave can get pretty 'wonky' pretty quickly... and those little line were so tedious i had to take breaks and then i couldn't match my colors perfectly each time... All in all when i stand back and look at it i think it is perfectly imperfect and i really like how it turned out. I have one more section of basket weave to do then i'm off to that blue section. ........

Click to enlarge
Believe it or not these guys are part of the yogurt cup project and i made a couple extra for another project. I had an epiphany while creating these guys.....Maybe you can't tell but they are beads...A wooden bead is the center with the clay around........i have a clay face mold that i'm using with polymer clay.... My original idea was just to make some faces and press them on the wooden bead... well i totally lost the roundness of the bead and my fingers no matter how careful really distorted the faces............ trust me it was a mess.. and i was really discouraged......

Then i had my epiphany......... It was like AAAaaahhhhhh!  I knew it would work before i even tried it...... I wrapped the wood bead entirely in clay ........poked the end of  a paint brush thru the holes to open them up. Then with the paint brush in the hole i pressed the clay covered bead into the face mold ........ holding onto the paintbrush and not the bead so i wouldn't distort anything...i did two sides of the bead....... worked like a CHARM!  Its one of the things i love about crafting...... figuring things out. I sure someone with more clay experience could have told me right away what to do.  Someone like my crafting guru Eileen who i go to when i'm absolutely stumped.  But it was such a wonderful feeling to figure this out on my own....... Hugs! deb

4 comments:

CraftyViolet said...

Glad you are back to posting! I've missed your creations. What a great idea to make beads with faces. I have a ton of polymer clay and should use it more often. Great idea to hold the bead with the paint brush. Don't you just love it when you get that Ah Ha moment!

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Not sure what you will do with them but they came out great. xox

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

The yogurt cups, huh? More mystery.
I'm so glad you blog! Great solution to a messy problem. Now I can't wait to see what these round heads are going to do on yogurt cups.

Have a great weekend.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

The yogurt cups, huh? More mystery.
I'm so glad you blog! Great solution to a messy problem. Now I can't wait to see what these round heads are going to do on yogurt cups.

Have a great weekend.