Monday, June 9, 2014

A Crafty Intermission..........

click on picture to enlarge
...............'a picture is worth a thousand words',............. I thought this one picture would show you what i've been up to the last couple days in the craft room........ Coasters!  My coffee table is HEAVY.........  I get griped at all the time for picking out heavy coffee tables..... i'm like........well don't move it!........ lol.....  We have a wood and slate coffee and end tables......  and to be fair they are heavy...... but i like them that way....substantial...... problem is the slate is in the middle and the wood around edge ...... that creates a problem because i want the drink put on the slate and not the wood......... fair request no? :)  

But that would require leaning forward a little more to get your drink if your all comfortable like on the couch so everyone's solution is to pull the coffee table closer to the couch....... I'am. forever. straightening . the coffee table back into position.... So i've known i've needed coasters for quite some time.......trouble was i had a PLAN........ a crafty idea on how to get my coasters.........

Enter that orange big box hardware store....... they give out the BEST free samples!  And i know i dipped into their goodwill a little more than i should have but i hope you'll (they'll) forgive me... 
These are vinyl flooring samples in different colors of faux slate or stone...I love them....... The cork squares came from a craft store very reasonably priced.  The only problem i ran into was the cork had rounded edges and the vinyl had squared off edges so i rounded the vinyl squares and did a little trimming with a craft knife...vinyl and cork cut very easily......I need to take a sanding block to pretty up the edges a little then BAM! i got coasters! Don't you dare move that coffee table!! I'm watching you! LOL! Hugs! deb

5 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

how fun!

gamma3 said...

i just love this idea! what a cool idea, and even better, i won't hold it against you for going to the orange box. lvu

CraftyViolet said...

Great idea. We have the same end tables and coffee tables as you have. They are heavy but sturdy.

I should visit the big orange store once in awhile - or maybe not as I have about a dozen projects in the works as it is!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

This is a good idea! I have glass end tables and I cringe everytime someone sets a glass down without a coaster.

Micki said...

Hi, thanks so much for your comment on my canvas tote bag over on the eP blog. Here is a link which will show you the type of "pipette" I was talking about:
http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-HGPIP-Disposable-Transfer-Pipettes/dp/B0063XELH6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1402425032&sr=8-2&keywords=pipettes+plastic

xoxo....PS: love how those coasters look.