Friday, June 6, 2014

The First Leg of Our Journey................


.........We picked up Hwy 1 at Point Reyes.....if your a long time follower you know that Point Reyes is where hubby and i had our 'epic' hike back in January.... We wanted to continue up the coast...... Hwy 1  does not disappoint..... absolutely beautiful... we quickly realized that our photos could not possibly do it justice......

Hwy 1 is for people with cast iron stomachs and no fear of heights..lol....... heights don't bother me but i do not have a cast iron stomach and i know this......... i really should have brought something for motion sickness.....

 .....the constant switchbacks and twist and turns and up and downs really got to me after awhile..... I found myself behind the wheel quite alot as i seemed to feel better if i was driving.... go figure...  The above picture is of ice plant....... its everywhere and its gorgeous... even if it is a nuisance plant here and non native. It lent alot of color to the hillsides....   

..........As we got past Point Reyes there was beach after beach after beach to explore.........mostly state beaches ....  truly you could spend a couple days just doing that...... but we had to reach Garberville for our hotel . So we'd walk a beach.....then skip a beach.....walk a beach ...skip two.... walk a beach....... It was great fun! 


I have fallen absolutely in love with the rough and rocky northern CA shoreline...... I grew up with beaches just the opposite.... much of my childhood was spent roaming the shores of the Gulf of Mexico in the Florida panhandle........ Destin Beach, Ft.Walton Beach , Panama City beach....... think turquoise blue water, sugar white sand......and while i still love that......... 


..........something about the sheer wildness of this place touches my heart..... it feels so alive....... with the sea lions and tide pools and the mistiness of it all.......... It can feel like a totally different world.....

.........just imagine all the beautiful sunsets this house must have seen........

..........this is a good example of how the beaches looked....... lots and lots of little pebbles mixed in....... I collected a few.... shiny black, gorgeous reds and orange and white..... I have an idea for a bracelet...........

...........If anyone has any idea what this plant is ........ i would love to know...........It was everywhere!   
 .......This plant was everywhere too........ I told hubby they look like little cockroach corpses...... you know just the bodies no head , no legs.......yes i got one of THOSE looks.......i swear he saves them just for me........lol.....

We took the coast all the way to Ft. Bragg then headed inland to Garberville............ If you think the twisty , curvy road ended just because you left the coast ......trust me it did not..... :)  It took quite awhile for my stomach to calm down once we reached our hotel...... Next time Hwy 1 is in my vacation plans i WILL be taking something for motion sickness.....!! I hope you enjoy the photos. They should all enlarge if you click on them........ Next leg... Redwoods baby!!!! And a scary encounter............OOOoooOOOOooo..... Hugs! deb

8 comments:

Lori said...

That blue flower plant is cool! I have no idea what it is, though!

Gorgeous pictures!

kathyinozarks said...

I get motion sickness real bad too-and we have allot of roads here that are very curvy and up and down too-no ocean views though-lol
I loved the photos very much-what an awesome place to live in that house-I wonder if it is up high enough to avoid hurricanes and storms-just to hear the sound of the waves would be wonderful
I have never seen the plant before so would be curious too to find out

Penny said...

The blue plant is a Californian native, cenote is, now used all over the world, even here on Oz in an improved for, we call the grass shivery grass here. Sounds like a great trip.

Penny said...

Sorry, my tablet over rode me, it is called ceonothis.

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Been to Ft Bragg and Mendocino, but did not take Route 1, no way, I am not a lover of heights and the switch backs, forget it. Plants, buttery fly bush of some kind? And sea oats? Love the ice plant everywhere. I remember seeing that too. xox

CraftyViolet said...

I would love to go on the route you took. Beautiful scenery. I could see Joe and I having the same conversation as you and your hubby about the cockroach bodies. I agree with you and I would have gotten "the look" too - and then the eye roll and then the shake of the head. They just don't see what we see.
Looking forward to the next chapter of your adventure!

Victoria said...

Beautiful photos! I love traveling Highway 1, it's like the roads up here...except if you miss a turn up here you'd just hit the valley floor instead of falling into the ocean. Either way, it would be a hard landing, lol.

I normally have a cast-iron stomach, but we were going to Mendocino from my husband's mother's house in Martinez and she didn't want to take Hwy 1. So, we took the 101 and managed to miss the turnoff for Hwy 128. "No problem," his mom said (she had the map). "We'll take Hwy 253." OMG! Deb, don't ever, ever travel that road. By the time we got to Booneville (a charming, but very odd little place) to pick up Hwy 128 I was as sick as a dog. Didn't bother my husband (he was driving) but it really got to my mother-in-law and me. She kept saying, "It didn't look this horrifically twisty on the map..."

gamma3 said...

the pictures are like post cards. breath taking. i have never been to california but a really really good good friend of mine has asked me to visit at the end of the summer. i can't wait. and the "cockroach" reminds me of a rattle snake tip.