Tuesday, July 29, 2014

A T stands for Tuesday Post..........


GoodMorning 'Tea' People! I say 'Tea' because there's coffee in that thar cup. I braved a smoke shop in Mendocino for that gorgeous coffee cup....yes i have lived a sheltered life....lol..... We hadn't been in CA long when we visited Mendocino and i saw this cup in the window. I peeked in and could tell this was a place that sold those funky pipes and things for marijuana and Lord knows what else.....I initially walked away but then we passed it again and i said to myself...Lord woman its not like your walking in there to buy marijuana or the paraphernalia.....you just want the damn coffee cup! So i marched in there and had to stand for 10 minutes while the guy behind the counter talked about different pipes and the best way to use them with a customer......now i can say i'm educated on the subject........ooohhh boy....

 I thought i'd show you the new craft i've been playing with while drinking my coffee in the mornings.....If you've been around for a while i'm sure you remember the Witchy Cats i sketched a little while ago........i thought they would make an awesome stamp. So i gave it a go.....




Honestly.........it was  a little more difficult than i thought it would be........Trying to keep the lines but clean out the middle was not easy...... I don't think i care to work this small...... Now a larger carving ........ maybe the size to put on a tshirt or totebag now that i might give a try..... but carving blocks that size can get expensive...... So we'll see...... By the way ...I tried carving on those plumbing rubber gaskets...Suppose to be a cheaper alternative to carving blocks.......They didn't work for me......

I did a quick stamp on some scrap paper and colored it in with a marker...... I think he came out pretty good for a first time...... Have you ever carved anything? Any tips or tricks for me???........ Don't forget i'm linking to Bleubeard and Elizabeth for Tea Tuesday... Check it out! A whole bunch of fun 'tea' drinking people to meet over there. Hugs! deb

19 comments:

Krisha said...

WELL DONE on your carving. I tried it once.......years ago and that is why I buy stamps....LOL
Had to go back through your blog and read everything I've missed. I am hoping things will quiet down around here and I can get back to my normal schedule of creating and blogging.
Love the picture of you fresh bathed cat. Yes, our dog expects more treats after a bath too.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm in awe of your carving abilities. I stamped on cheap erasers using a carving knife. Now you know why none of my knives are sharp (grin). Mine were simple and I could never, ever make anything that good, although I WAS hoping to use some rubber gasket material at some point.

The person you need to talk to is Patty. Her stamps are gorgeous, and she's made quite a few. I'm sure she could give you a few pointers, none of which include using a knife.

Thanks for sharing this adorable cat with us for T this Tuesday. And thanks, too for your PIF question.

froebelsternchen Susi said...

A beautiful cup ---and a great stamp!
Happy T-Stands for Tuesday!

Robyn said...

I love carving stamps. I use the soft cut I find it much easier to carve.
Beautiful cup.

Bridget Larsen said...

I would have hesitated too if i saw that shop. Love the cup though
Bridget #1

Lori said...

I love that mug!

Dianne said...

really cute carving! I can see some adorable Halloween decorations or cards coming from this...love the previous post too, about your cat getting a bath! too funny! happy T day!

Rita said...

That cup was definitely worth braving the pot shop--LOL! I haven't carved any stamps yet, but bought some supplies for trying it. I love your cat stamp and think it turned out great! Happy belated T-Day! :)

Craftymoose Crafts said...

I had to laugh a bit (with you, of course) about the "traumatic" cup purchase---that would so have been me. The only difference, my husband would probably have had to push me in the door!

Your stamp came out excellent!

~*~Patty S said...

Your stamp carving is super and extra cool carving a large size stamp from your own drawing!
I enjoy using the pink rubber by Speedball for carving...it cuts like butter...

You were brave to get that pretty cup...no harm done.

Hope you had a happy t day
oxo

CraftyViolet said...

I would brave a pot shop for that cup too but hubby would not be happy with me doing that - he's no fun some days!

I have never tried to carve a stamp. I'm such a klutz and I know my limits and I would ruin it for sure. Besides my family has a fit when I mention using sharp instruments, saws or power tools. Apparently my reputation of a major klutz has not diminished over the years. Besides, I have enough hobbies on the go. I don't need another one.

CraftyViolet said...

Oops. Hit the wrong key before I mentioned that you did a great job carving that image. The best person I follow that carves a lot of stamps is http://balzerdesigns.typepad.com

She does amazing carvings.

CraftyViolet said...

Oops. Hit the wrong key before I mentioned that you did a great job carving that image. The best person I follow that carves a lot of stamps is http://balzerdesigns.typepad.com

She does amazing carvings.

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Funny story. I probably would have hesitated too. LOVE that stamp. xox

Estelle's said...

Deb, your past few posts have just made me laugh. Bathing the kitty and talking about the purchasing of that beautiful blue coffee cup in CA....sounds like what I imagine CA to be like....weird! Very entertaining posts. Love the kitty dressed for Halloween!!!

Carol said...

Oh how cute!!! I've been itching to try carving my own stamp. Haven't tried anything like that since Junior High art class and believe me that was many moons ago :)

froebelsternchen Susi said...

Once more me... thank you for your tips for the coffee detox !
Oh yes ... I have to look after my chocolate consuming too.. during the last time I didn't eat any , but there are often times when I have much chocolate..good that you told me .....
hugs

Susi

Jeanne said...

What a cute stamp that you made. I have never tried one of these, but it really looks like fun! Think you did a great job. Love your cup also! I love that color of blue!

Neesie said...

Many months ago someone suggested that I make my designs into stamps but I didn't have a clue how to do that...and there you are carving beautiful stamps.
Your witchypoo pussytat looks great.
Maybe I should give it a go although it looks tricky?
Thanks for sharing and passing on inspiration ;D
xoxo