Friday, August 1, 2014

Another take on Boxes.......


Hi there everyone!!! I'm joining DionDior for her Friday Sketches again....Knowing that i would like to have something to show every Friday has really been motivating me to pull out the sketchbook .I know its not the best picture as the sun was coming thru the curtain but i hope you can see the sketch in progress.... I had another idea about 'Boxes'........ I still have a ways to go but i have started outlining some of it in Pitt pen.  Oh! I struggled with those kitties...but i was determined..grrrr...:)  Tell me how can you live with a black cat for what 8 years and not be able to draw one...uugh.. Finally though i think i have them looking like cats...stay tuned!


Three weeks of 100+ temps has the garden looking a little worse for wear...sigh...you know a little crispy around the edges....  oh well... This little guy doesn't seem to mind that the garden is not at her best right now... 

I got him a little wet while watering this morning and he proceeded to give himself a good bath.....  I MUST tell you my praying mantis story from childhood....So if you have time......



When i was in 7th grade i think we lived in North Carolina for a couple years in a trailer on a dirt road and a favorite pass time was riding my bike up and down that road......not much traffic ...just a quiet country road really...So there i was riding up and down when all of a sudden from the side of the road runs a brown praying mantis across the road in front of me... I stop....it stops...Looks at me and tilts its head from side to side ...you know how they do that right?  They always look very intelligent to me...like he(or she) was accessing me.....then he scurries on across the road......Now all this would not be a remarkable story if i didn't tell you that this praying mantis was anywhere from 8 inches to a foot tall!  I know your sitting there shaking your head thinking i was hallucinating..... but i kid you not....... To this day it was the largest praying mantis i have ever seen.  He was large enough and looked at me long enough that i got a good look at those claws and just when i was starting to get a little nervous he went about his business.....

I love to see praying mantises in my garden. And this baby size is just fine... I'm not sure i WANT to see one that big again. :)  Have a great weekend!!! Hugs! deb

6 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

At my house the Wonder is Walking Sticks. Somehow, we have seen them pretty often since the boys were little.

Love your new boxes especially the tree growning through them. So unique.

did you ever watch the Ray Bradberry Theatre on TV? It was a weekly show that opened showing a cluttered room, with bookshelves and lots of stuff everywhere. He would then say "People ask me where do I get my ideas". Your art makes me ask that question of you!
Have a great weekend.
xx, Carol

Neesie said...

What a fantastic sketch Deb,
I love it ^..^ I have tried to sketch my dog on so many occasions but never seem to manage a decent job so give up.
Fascinating tale about the praying mantis but I'm so glad we don't get them visiting in Scotland.
What a giggle seeing him having a bath. I had a vision of him wearing a bath cap and lathering up!
Enjoy your weekend xoxo

CraftyViolet said...

I think you are on the right path with that sketch. Love it.

I've never ever heard of a praying mantis that big so no wonder it stuck in your memory! I love to see them in my garden as well.

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Love your kitty sketches. I haven't seen a praying mantis in ages and ages. I used to love them as a kid. They fascinated me too. xox

Victoria said...

I love your sketch, Deb. Those kitties look like the outlines of real kitties to me!

If I ever saw a praying mantis that big I think I would...um... well, I just hope I never see one that big!

Blessings,

Victoria

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

I love your boxed themes! Please keep doing them ;-)