Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Memory is a Fickle Thing.......


I've come to the conclusion that i have no control over what my brain decides to 'hold onto' and what 'fades into oblivion'......I like to think i hold onto the good things in life and let go of the not so good...But like i said i really don't think i have control over that. But i'm generally a happy person..... a glass half full kinda gal. :)

I can't tell you about the things i've forgotten because...well.... I've forgotten them. But i can tell you about a few of the silly things i do remember for no apparent reason.......



Hubby needs a plant hanger at his work. This man has a green thumb that neither one of us knew he had! Look at those plants! When was the last time you looked for a plant hanger at the store? Do you know how difficult they are to find these days? Does no one hang their plants anymore?  I did find some on Etsy but for me the prices were a little steep. 

I learned a few macrame knots back in grade school and if you can believe it i STILL remember how to do it......at least i think i do..so far so good....I bought the metal loop a little bit too big......ah well live and learn......and a roll of twine was only $5.... I have some face beads left over from the yogurt cup project....So i'm giving it a try ...fingers crossed!

I had two years of Spanish in high school......30 some odd years ago..ahem.....I barely managed to pass them.....My wonderful powers of memorization was the only think that saved me...... I cannot hold a conversation in Spanish but i still have many words and phrases memorized..... Why? I don't know........ Its not like i've had opportunity to practice over the years......but its there taking up valuable real estate in my brain..... I can count in Spanish.....I can say the alphabet in Spanish...I can say the Pledge of Allegiance in Spanish.....I know all the words to 'La Cucaracha'  and can sing 'We Wish you a Merry Christmas' in Spanish.Why?Why does my brain hold onto such things...? Any odd things that just stick in your brain?  :) Hugs! deb

PS... I'm linking with Elizabeth's T stands for Tuesday.......and if you all are looking for something liquid in this post look at the picture of my hubby......look at the shelf above his desk....look close.... you will see a 5 hr energy drink..........its the best i could do... :) 

18 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Hey Deb, a 5-hour energy drink qualifies. And you did good finding it, too.

The ONE and ONLY macrame hanger I made was in the late 80s. I bought a book and picked the HARDEST one in it. All my friends thought I was nuts, because patience and I don't get along too well together. The material I bought was white and very expensive, so I knew I couldn't mess up. It had many knots that had to be done just right. There were also cross overs. Wish I'd saved it instead of giving it away when I moved to Wichita. I'd have sent it to you. It would have matched the furniture in your hubby's office, too (grin).

Thanks for sharing your hubby's green thumb, his drink, and your brain power with us for T this Tuesday. Now what were we talking about (grin)??

Krisha said...

ROTFLOL! I would like to know the answer to your question too!

Never got into macramé, but my Mom and GM did, and they made some beautiful things.

Happy T-day

Estelle's said...

Loved this post Deb! I think you made us all laugh out loud today!!!! Just great!!! Thank you!

see you there! said...

I took French, even lived in France a bit and I cannot say in French all the things you can in Spanish. I remember making a couple of macrame plant hangers though. And the places they hung in the house. Thanks for the ride in the way-back-machine.

Darla

Linda Kunsman said...

Your post just cracked me up Deb-in so many ways!! I totally get what you mean. Those plants of hubby's look great- only thing I can keep going is a bamboo plant. Isn't it funny how we do remember some of the simplest or silliest words from having another language...I had French and Spanish (my choice) back to back classes in HS for two years-of course I used to mix up the two languages during test times but as both teachers knew both languages and knew of my classes they'd let me slide:)It's been many years since I did macramé and I would have NO clue on how to begin anymore-good for you to remember and give it a go. Happy T day!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Great post. Love the pic of your Hubs at work too.

I used to macrame constantly AND collected plants so I needed lots of hangers. I used to arrange my furniture around the solar needs of my plants in every room.

I tend to remember the bad...keep it tucked away and am unforgiving. I know, you would not guess that about me, but I hold a grudge on serious matters. Other than that! well, I remember the best and I also am a half full girl.
xx, Carol

Deborah Weber said...

LOL - fun post! The brain is indeed a mysterious creature. Those plants in your DH's office look fabulous. Good luck with the hanger making.

~*~Patty S said...

Macrame! now that takes me back to the 70's when I started with tying knots and couldn't stop LOL...I even made a small curtain with heavy jute and seashells and just got rid of a floor lamp with one of my macrame shades on it.
Memory and what jogs it certainly are totally random things aren't they.
Really neat you made a special hanger for your husband's green thumb...I mean plant heehee
Happy T Day to ya
oxo

froebelsternchen Susi said...

I never did macramee..and I think that it would not be the right thing for me.. I always fail with knots and such things... stupid me!
I totally can understand what you mean.. I often wonder about what I remember exactly and otherwise so many important things I lost completely ...
but no MATTER!
Happy T-DAY!

xxx
Susi

Hettie said...

Haa Haa! I can so relate to your problem. Sometimes I can remember things from school..certain words in French yet I cannot remember if a letter was sent to a client the day before!!! Someone once told me it was because you were having fun at the time you were learning French/Spanish in your case.
I enjoyed macrame too!!
Like minded. Way to go on your hubby's green fingers!
xxx

CraftyViolet said...

Okay, first of all, if you need a simple but nice looking plant hanger, pop over to The Frugal Crafter's YouTube channel. She was in the same boat as you - needed a plant hanger and couldn't find one and didn't want to do a traditional macramé one.

As for the memory thing - Oh, I can so relate to that. I hated Latin but I still remember how to say 18 in Latin; I remember what the company's accountant took in his coffee and the fact he wanted it in a paper cup, not a glass cup, and I worked there over 26 years ago; I know my ex-husband's SIN but not my own and he's been an ex for well over 30 years;yet I can go downstairs and when I get there I can't remember what I went down for. Yup, the old brain just remembers certain things.

Rita said...

Yes, I have useless things taking up brain space, too, and have lost important information that somehow fell out my ears at some point in time--LOL! I made macramé plant hangers back in the day. I still like to hang plants, but it is hard to find hangers anymore, like you said. Luckily, I still have a few in my garage...if the mice haven't chewed them up for bedding. ;) Happy T-Day!

TwinkleToes2day said...

What a fabulous office space, and those plants look siper healthy. Good for you, having a go at making your own hangers. The only ones I've seen over the past few years are plastic ones with flimsy looking plastic hooks that I wouldn't trust your hubs plants to. Hope you share images of the finished hanger :D

Divers and Sundry said...

I seem to remember all the wrong things, but I do remember macrame plant hangers so there's a good one. Fun that you can still make one :)

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Macrame, haven't thought of it in years, but I always loved those intricate plant hangers. Good luck getting it done. Memory, who knows, a smell, a word, something is the trigger. I've scads of uselessness in mine that have to do with out business, some day I won't have to deal with it anymore. xox

Maria said...

Haha, you have to post a picture of the finished macrame hanger, (if the one you posted is not it.) I have looked for pretty hangers as well. You can get the green plastic pots with hangers. Maybe wrapped some beads around the ugly plastic and extend the hanging part with a chain. Just sayin'. Keep on posting! :)

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

You make me laugh, Deb.

I learned macrame in my mid-20s (guess I'm dating myself - oh well).

A year or two ago, I picked up some thick yarn and made a macrame scarf - just like that! Muscle memory is a wonderful thing.

Odd things that just stick in my brain - nothing I can think of. I have a terrible memory ;-)

kathyinozarks said...

I know what you mean about selective memory-lol it just seems to happen-or not
how is your macrame hanger coming along? that was always a fun craft