Thursday, August 28, 2014

On a Road Trip..........



..............to Sacramento a few weeks ago....and we came upon this truck.....what is that in the back????



..........what could that be?????


.......did you guess?????  Tomatoes!!!! Roma tomates i think....We see so many of these trucks! This must be tomato country! I don't know why but they always make me smile... It just seems odd i think not see them in crates or boxes or something......... Soon all these tomato trucks will be pumpkin trucks!!! That is a sight to behold too.  I'm kinda lovin' living in this Agricultural region of the country.  Cherry trees...orange trees... peach trees....almond....walnut....olive trees...grape vines.... fields of stuff i don't even know the name of ...but would like too...... I wish the farmers would put signs out for us ignorant people and tell us what they are growing... Oh i know corn and cotton from living in TX but so much is hard to identify.... Last year i saw HUGE pumpkin field!  I see alot of hay around here too.......  Well i just wanted to show you my tomato trucks! :)  Hope your having a great week!!! Hugs! deb

8 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

How interesting. I have never seen truck loads of tomatoes before - I wonder if they were perhaps going to a annery, where it wouldn't matter if they got crushed. Even here in the UK - and we are farmers - we sometimes go to a new area and see crops and wonder what they are.

kathyinozarks said...

I have never seen a tomato truck either-kinda cool-you would think the tomatoes would be in an enclosed container though to keep out the pollution on them. a truck full of pumpkins would be cool to see too-enjoy your getaway

CraftyViolet said...

We live in an agricultural area as well and they grow tons of tomatoes here. They used to go to the Heinz plant in Leamington (for 90 years) until Warren Buffett bought it and closed it the year later - I knew that was going to happen. However another group bought it to try to save some jobs. Where I live the land is very, very flat so they grow a lot of food crops here. Because I grew up on a farm Joe thinks I know every plant - not!He keeps asking me "what's that?" as we whiz past a field at 80kmh (50mph). No idea babe, just green plants at that speed!

Victoria said...

Every time I see a truck full of pumpkins, I'm nearly overcome by the urge to hi-jack the truck, lol. I get a little pumpkin crazy around late September and early October. I wish I could grow pumpkins up here, but we don't have a long enough growing season. But, I have dreams of my woods full of pumpkins...wouldn't that be a magical sight! (Well, until the raccoons ate them).

Have a great weekend!

Izzybeads by Laney said...

Oh WOW! I have never seen a tomato truck like that, all of our trucks are covered with the exception of scrap metal lorries. What a fab photo.

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Never knew they transported tomatoes that way. You would think they would bruise or something. Although Roma's are hearty and tougher. Ag country is always the most interesting to me. xox

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

What amazes me is how those tomatoes can be piled so high and not be squished into sauce by the end of the journey!

denthe said...

I so love that illustration you're making! The contrast between the straight lines and the curves of the cats. The bird is a great addition too!