Thursday, September 25, 2014

The Hobbit Door..........

..............if you've been visiting my blog for awhile then this is nothing new......... you know just how much i've been procrastinating on this painting.......... shameful really.......But i haven't given up.....haven't thrown in the towel...... I keep working on it in fits and starts and learning lessons along the way...

Like how the paint has to be super super duper dry before i try any kind of pen work on it.......or i just ruin a pen......Pitt Pen seems to give me the best results......... The green and blue areas you see are leaves and i'am waiting for the paint to reach an arid state before i doodle on it....... So while i wait for that to happen i've been working on the black and white steps......  

You can see i now have both sides of the door finished with basket weave ..........there was a lesson there too......... If you want two areas to come out exactly the same don't wait so long between the time you start something and the time you finish it.... The basket weave on the right is much 'tighter' than the one on the left.........and it was difficult to mix the paint colors 'just so'  .......So the two sides are not just alike and hopefully in the end it will not detract from the finished piece......If so then procrastination bit me in the butt......  In case you forgot where this is headed or if your new to this painting here is the original doodle done on paper with Crayola colored pencils...


Long way to go huh??? lol ........ One step at a time...... I've promised this painting to Hubs........ Its one of the few drawings he has really really liked......  Hopefully i'll get it done before he retires as he wants to hang it in his office......... :)  Big Hugs! deb

Linking to Friday Sketches with DionDior........
and PaintPartyFriday with Eva and Kristin

23 comments:

Denise said...

I guess I have this in common with You and Your Husband.I love hobbit doors and homes and draw or paint them all the time.I some times day dream about the Shire.I really don't like all the other Characters from the stories but Hobbit's Yes. A few Years ago I went to a Halloween party as a female Hobbit.One BIG difference in Our art.....You have tons of talent.The painting is so pretty.Denise

CraftyViolet said...

Love your painting so far. Not surprised hubs likes it. I don't think the weave being a bit different will be noticeable at all.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Get crackin' girl!! I don't think any of the issues you are stressing over will even be noticable. Afterall, our faces are not the same on both sides so doesn't a little deviation add character? As usual, you are far too critical of your work.
xx, Carol

see you there! said...

I really like the drawing on paper and can see where you are going with the painting. Keep it up, you'll get there!

Darla

Beth Niquette said...

Sometimes the best things happen in stages. I have many drawings in progress...your Hobbit hole just fills my eyes. The colors, the detail--everything is so beautiful to my eyes.

Valerie-Jael said...

It looks very promising, take your time, and it will be wonderful! Valerie

Lori said...

I like hobbit doors. Or maybe it is the wood or the roundness of them.

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Love this piece, even if it isn't finished. xox

Neesie said...

Whoa Deb, this is fantastic,
I wonder why we are always so hard on ourselves about our artwork.
I think it's lovely that your hubby likes this painting (and who wouldn't?) so maybe you should relax and enjoy the process.
Ha! listen to me... I'm one of the worst offenders.
It looks amazing and makes me want to visit... possibly even opening that door! ;D
Have a wonderful weekend

My name is Erika. said...

Yup, I know what you mean about ruining a pen. I am so impatient though I hate the wait. Can't wait to see this all finished. Its coming along so nicely.

Christine said...

beautiful seasonal painting!

Betty from My Irish Cottage Home said...

WOW, that is going to be beautiful when you are done. Actually when I saw it I already thought it was done until I saw your crayon one. He better be doing something nice for you after all the hard work you put into this. HA! HA!

bellefrogworks said...

oh how many pens I've ruined due to impatience! I really like this painting - sometimes you need to work over a period of time and I am not a fan of everything being "perfect" anyway

donna baker said...

I love the painting/drawing and understand when the muse has left for a while. By the way, you are an inspiration. I've wanted to run again like when I ran everywhere as a child. I think it might be my number 1 wish.

Giggles said...

Wow very beautiful I am sure Hubby will be so proud to hang it in his office!! I'm sure knowing how much he loves it will give you motivation to finish!

Hugs Giggles

denthe said...

This is looking fantastic already! I admire your patience!

Linda Kunsman said...

Your WIP is looking fantastic!! Even the doodled page you're working from looks fab. It'll all come together in its own time.

Anne Launius-Berbling said...

I absolutely love this!! I know what you mean about the pens, I've done it, too...I've found that you can revive them...sometimes...by using the fine side of an emery board.
Can't wait to see it complete!
Hugs,
Anne

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

I also love Tolkien's books, especially the Hobbit! Your intricate interpretation of the his door will certainly look good in your husband's office. Blessings!

froebelsternchen Susi said...

This is just AWESOME!

Cindy D. said...

The painting is looking terrific! Wonderful pattern on the fish, too.

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

Your hobbit door certainlly has a lot of fans. That should give yoou the coruage to press on. It's amazing in detail, concept and execution. I see no flaws at all. This is art - not math!

Teresa Arsenault said...

FANtastic!