Monday, October 20, 2014

A Recycler's Dream Postcard................

Helllooooo .... to my Tea People(and non Tea People) . So glad you popped in for a visit from Elizabeth's T Stands for Tuesday group.... Like the title suggests this postcard is nearly entirely recycled material....  I WISH i could say the idea was entirely my own but the concept i borrowed from Vicky Papaloannou. If you have a few minutes put your feet up with a cup of coffee or TEA and sit back and watch this video........Although i warn you her videos are addicting and you may need to go get a second cuppa whatever your drinking.... and put the rest of the day's plans on hold while you watch video after video...... I have to say her art journal pages are my favorite and i have learned alot thru my addiction.......lol 

Back to the MailArt PostCard.........I didn't have the same supplies that Vicky had but  I achieved the textured background by using return address labels! You know how companies will send them to you so you'll make a donation or some such thing..... well i had a bunch so i used them thinking it would be a quick project because they already had adhesive on them well........no...... the adhesive didn't stick well so i had to go back and glue them down.....Maybe they didn't like the cereal box board base i used??......

So anyway i had to cover up my addresses so i used some gesso and then acrylic paint .I was worried about the paint and such building up so much i would lose the texture so i used very thin layers.... I used Anita's all purpose extender to get the blending and shading with the acrylic paint...

Next i found some tea related images in my STASH... :)  I had bought this huge box of cards at an estate sale a while ago for $5.  I have been using many in my snail mail  but some of them had religious overtones and not being a religious person i had to re-purpose them . Wherever you see yellow overtones on them it was originally white so i had to shade it in so it would go with the rest of the card.... 

The hearts where paperpunched out of some scrapbook paper and colored in with prismacolor pencils and Gamsol.  I think it came out great and i'am one step closer to making a canvas along this theme for my wall in the kitchen...... I hope everyone is having a great week! I'm so glad you stopped by! Happy T day everyone!!!

20 comments:

Izzybeads by Laney said...

FAB! and I love tea!!

Betty from My Irish Cottage Home said...

I love it and the colors are perfect for this time of the year. I love tea too.

CraftyViolet said...

Love it! You did a great job on this and I can see it on canvas for a kitchen for sure.
I'm now going to pop over to the video you linked. I'm always on the look out for watching how others achieve certain looks....like the mailing label idea!

kathyinozarks said...

cool about the address labels

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You hooked me with mailing labels. My friend gave me a HUGE bunch of her old ones (I don't get them because I don't donate to people who send them). Now I have an idea what to do with them. Sadly, I can't watch videos because my computer is too slow to load them. They sometimes load for about 4 seconds, then shut off. But I want to use your concept in some of my art.

Your cups and tea pot are simply adorable. I am THRILLED that you created this. It is truly awesome. Thanks for sharing this postcard AND the lovely art for T this week.

Vicky said...

Love it! Thanjk you for mentioning me. It really gives me so much joy to know fellow crafters are inspired by my work and create such a beautiful art as yours! YOU ROCK!!!!

Vicky said...

Love it! Thanjk you for mentioning me. It really gives me so much joy to know fellow crafters are inspired by my work and create such a beautiful art as yours! YOU ROCK!!!!

froebelsternchen Susi said...

Amazing ! Wow.. I love Vicky's Viedos as well - an amazing Mixed Media Artist for sure!
Happy T-Day !

Julia Dunnit said...

Its a lovely card, worked out really well, lovely warming colour too. And it is really totally recycled becuase you re-used the idea from someone..that counts, huh!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Very neat idea for texturizing. I think this is a pretty cool project design that would be great in the kitchen. You sure have a lot of fun!!
xx, Carol

Linda Kunsman said...

this is just darling Deb! You def. should make a canvas version too. I love the flowing hearts.Great use of recycle materials too. I will check out some of the vids. Happy T day!

Divers and Sundry said...

I don't ever do crafty things any more, but I see so many fun projects on Tuesdays that I'm going to watch some of the videos you link to. My main problem is that I'd be starting from scratch, and it sounds expensive to do a project if you have to buy _everything_. lol

~*~Patty S said...

Great use of recycled materials for your really cute creation!!!
Thanks for the link
Happy T Day..
oxo

Dianne said...

Great Mail Art postcard! thanks for the step-by-step description...the texture of strips in the background is something I wouldn't have thought of, and love your tea cups! ♥

dawn said...

Hello and Happy T Day!
I LOVE your cups and tea pot, so pretty and fun. Thanks for sharing the links for the videos and on how you made this.
Have a great week.

fairy thoughts said...

Hi lovely postcard... It's funny isn't it ... The projects we think will be nice and quick end up being so time consuming when they don't go right
Just had my second cup ta
Janet

Craftymoose Crafts said...

This is really awesome! I love the label idea for the background, and I sense a new video obsession on my horizon!

Krisha said...

Fantastic! Now, I have to come back and watch the video, cause I started, then I thought I'd better finish the T rounds first LOL. I do get hooked on those videos and watch them until my MOJO wants to explode!
Happy T-day

Hettie said...

I love this! Great piece.
Hugs
xx

see you there! said...

I really like your tea art. I'm afraid to open the link to the video's. Maybe after I cook dinner.

Darla