Wednesday, October 22, 2014

My First Ever Apple Pie............



This past weekend was our annual trip to Apple Hill in the foothills of the Sierra Mtns......... My advice to you is to never NEVER attempt to go there on a weekend and NEVER in the middle of the day....madness, sheer and utter madness........ the people, the lines , the cars.......The loveliness of the place just cannot quite make up for all the madness.... But the smell of the pine when i stepped out of the truck and the taste of fresh cider on my tongue was almost ...almost ...worth it... Needless to say we didn't stay long...... Made a quick trip around the craft stalls , grabbed a few free cups of cider and i made a beeline for the apples. I was on a mission! 
I wanted to make my first EVER apple pie. I always make apple crisp but i found this recipe at Estelle's. Which is a lovely blog to visit....wonderful recipes and gorgeous photography... I tried to find the post with the Apple Pie recipe but i couldn't find it. But if you'd like the recipe let me know and i'll give it to you. 




The apples i chose were Gravenstein. Yea i never heard of them either but they were pretty....great criteria for picking apples no? :) And the sign said they were tart which the recipe said i needed...  After a Google search at home i found that they are originally from Norway and have been grown there for a couple hundred years.....



My first attempt at a two crust pie!  Pretty! 




Not so pretty after the baking.... but pie doesn't have to be pretty does it?? Especially if its going to be consumed at home. :) Hubs thinks i put too many apples in the pie...All i know was that i was ever so happy i had the foresight to put a tray under the pie while it baked! Whew...usually its my hindsight that it 20/20... :)


                                Apple Pie A La Mode!!!Yum!!! It really turned out GOOD!! even if its not pretty.   Have you tried anything new lately on the cooking front?Hope your having a great week! Big Hugs! deb

11 comments:

Estelle's said...

I am so thrilled you tried a new recipe! It looks amazing and hopefully tastes just as good! Thank you for the "shout out!" It's wonderful to try out new recipes for the upcoming holidays and find one that will become your family favorite!!! Hugs! I have two diffeent apple pie recipes posted so perhaps the one you prepared is one of these! There will be a new one this week! http://themainehouse.blogspot.com/2013/03/petite-honey-crisp-apple-pie.html
http://themainehouse.blogspot.com/2011/08/dream-kitchenfor-love-of-jadite.html

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I love apple pie. We use a lot of apples in the fall. Now they have found a way to store them so they remain fresh through the winter and we have a very good supply of applies at reasonable price all winter long. My kids especially like fried apples and apple fritters..yum!
xx, Carol

Divers and Sundry said...

I saw this post following a Tea Tuesday link and have to confess that here -approaching old age- I have never made an apple pie. I love eating them, but after Mother quit making them I started buying the frozen ones. All that is to say... Your're apple pie looks amazing to me! :)

Krisha said...

Well done Deb!!! Looks fantastic to me. I haven't baked a pie in years, not since I found Costco pies were so well priced for the size....LOL

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Looks like a wonderful apple pie to me. We like Macoun's in this house which are plentiful around here as well as Macintosh apples too. I am not much of a crust maker, so pies don't happen here often. Glad you gave it a shot, bet it was delicious. xox

The Weaver of Grass said...

We have a saying here in the UK Debs - 'the proof of the pudding is in the eating, not the looking.'

Neesie said...

Aww what a shame as it looked perfect before baking... but then ice-cream, custard or cream can disguise a multitude of sins. Says one from experience.
I'm wondering what pastry did you make. I make apple crumble most of the time as it's what I'd call rustic looking ;D
Great to hear it was a success no matter, so onwards and upwards Debs.
I'll be cooking up a storm when Aggie wakes up so I'll let you know what I get up to.
xoxo

Betty from My Irish Cottage Home said...

Congrats on your first pie. I have never heard of that type of apple either.

Lori said...

That pie looks great! John's favorite dessert is pie :D

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

Two things I find hard to believe:

1. You never made an apple pie before; and
2. That crust is your first attempt!!

You did great, girlfriend!

debby said...

Your pie looks delish! And a la mode is the only way to eat apple pie, IMO :)