Thursday, November 20, 2014

Greedy Little Buggers...........

Most of my visitors at the bird feeder are tiny....little finches and wrens.....but i do have a couple larger birds that come around for regular visits............ Perhaps my friend in Canada , Ms Violet can help me with identification but i THINK they are called Scrub Jays??  It does not show up too well in the photo but those grayish areas are actually blue. A very pretty bird. Loud and bossy....just like a Jay in my opinion......but no crest on the head whatsoever and that is throwing me a little.... When i think of a Jay i always think of a crest on the head??.... 

Anyway........ I was standing at the kitchen sink the other day when these two came a calling...... I stood there enjoying watching them for so long that i started noticing they were not actually EATING the seeds.....they were stuffing their mouths with the sunflower seeds like a squirrel and then flying off with a mouthful and coming back for more...!  And i thought to myself...'greedy little buggers'!! Can't blame them for being opportunistic though right? Gotta get it while the gettin's good!!!  

I'm so glad we put the bird feeder up even though we weren't ready to tackle landscaping the yard. I've really enjoyed watching the birds while i do dishes......really any time of day i stop by for gander..... I hope everybody is staying warm and toasty. So many people i talk with online are buried up to their eyeballs in snow and COLD...be safe! Hugs! deb

5 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

Your birds over there are so different from ours Deb that I couldn't begin to guess.
I buy all kinds of seeds for the birds and we get such a lot. At this time of the year our supplier sells half coconut shells filled with a mixture of seeds and fat. We hang them in the tree by the window. The blue tits,queueu up on the branches to eat. They are totally addicted to them.

CraftyViolet said...

Yes, indeed, Deb. That sure looks like a scrub jay to me. We put whole peanuts in a little cup and hang it on the bird feeder and the blue jays will stand in line, and sometimes not nicely, to get a peanut. If there is only one jay that spots them, he/she will take one, fly away and be right back for another one. How they remember where they put them in beyond me.

kathyinozarks said...

we really enjoy our birds too

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Well, you know how much I love my birds. We don't have the Scrub Jay here, so I had to go off and find out about this little thief. Very interesting reading. Thanks for a lead to new information today!! Go buy some peanuts ~lol~
xx, Carol

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

Could those greedy jays have been filling up to go back to nest and feed their young? It doesn't seem the right time of year but since we don't know for sure what breed the bird is ...