Monday, November 3, 2014

Happy T Day My Tea People!



How are you?  I'm sitting here with my last cup of coffee for the day WAITING for the shower people....... If you've been visiting here for very long you know that Hubs and i live in basically a new house. Its 2 years old this month!  Well within the first year the faux marble in our master bath shower cracked. Cracked!  And since it was under warranty they fixed it..... thank goodness right?! 

Well not too long ago i noticed that it had cracked again IN THE SAME PLACE! Well apparently this is unheard of...... that coming from the company....... So they hem-hawed around , thats a word right? and finally just this past Friday someone came out to look at it.... Hubs was not here , so it was just me and boy did they put me thru the ringer....'Are you sure you want all that mess','You know you will be out of a shower for days or weeks......' 'Its not a very big crack and it doesn't seem to be getting larger , are you SURE you want to mess with it....' , ' How hot do you have your hot water heater set? If it too high that might crack it' So we went out to check it and they thought i had it set too low, so there went that theory........ 

Um yes i want the crack in my shower FIXED. Preferably permanently this time.......... sheesh..... Hubs thinks if he was there we wouldn't have heard all that stuff..... Ah well.....i stuck to my guns. (Of course they don't know that i worked for a home improvement store for years. I think that prepared me a little to handle these guys)I mean really its a fairly new house. A cracked shower is just ridiculous .  So anyway long story short a guy is due here today between 10 and 1pm to take the glass out....Wed. a guy is coming to take the marble out...... then sometime mid Nov.  they will put it all back together....... Thank goodness i have a second bathroom!  

Well if you've managed to hang in there thru my Shower Story lol I'll tell you about my Tea Picture.  Sorry about the repeat of the cup but i LOVE that cup. Now the candle holder...... I made that..... Really its a nacho cheese jar in disguise.... I glued glass gems all over it then grouted it.....I have NEVER grouted before......whew! I did not kill it...... Infact i like it quite a lot..... I still have some embellishments i want to add so maybe i will show that next week... I learned a few things along the way.....

A.  those glass gems that you buy at the craft store well.......most of the time the color is PAINTED on! I did not know this...... maybe you did......... sigh........

B.   they  make sanded and unsanded grout ......... if your working with these painted on gems you definitely want the unsanded grout . Because the sanded kind will scratch the paint off..... I hand to be very light handed and careful but i managed to get it done without many scratches....... So trust me get the unsanded. :) I think it will give a much smoother , nicer finish...... 

So THERE my first attempt at grouting anything...... I do see more in my future once i work out all the kinks..... I hope you are having a happy T day. I'm so glad you stopped by ! Hugs! deb

25 comments:

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

I've done mosaic with those gems before but I didn't know they were painted on, I did use sanded grout, but wet wiped until they were clear. Good luck using them again. Do like that cup.

Stick to your guns with those stone folks, ridiculous their excuses. xox

Victoria said...

I've never done mosaic before, but your nacho jar is so pretty I'm tempted to try it. Thanks for the info about doing mosaic, I didn't know any of that.

My gosh, I expect things like what is going on with your shower to happen in my nearly 100 year old house, but in a brand new house? That's outrageous! Have you had the foundation checked? Because cracking in the exact same spot makes me think the house might have shifted on its foundation (having been there, done that). Hopefully, that's not it...

Blessings,

Victoria

P.S. Forgot to say, I love that cup!

CraftyViolet said...

I agree with the other two people who commented - love the cup and stick to your guns and make them fix the shower! I'm not very tall, 5'3" and a bit if I stand real straight - and hubby is almost 6'...who does the bartering and calling to get wrongs righted - ME! Some people under estimate the power of a woman but they are often soon corrected!

Vicki Miller said...

Love your candle holder and the tea cup - it's not a repeat for me!
If I had a new house, I think I'd be wanting it all fixed! Keep at it!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm SO glad you stuck to your guns. That shower crack, no matter how small, will eventually cause water to accumulate under it and cause MOLD. It is a priority health wise, if nothing else. So glad you made them understand that. And having a second bath is a real life saver, isn't it? I installed my own in the basement when I moved to Wichita.

Love the grouted jar. I bought a small packet of grout at a craft store on deep clearance one year. I have NO idea if it had sand or not. Had I got it at a home improvement store, I might have known, but this was fine grout mix, so I doubt it. Your first piece came out far better than mine. I love what you did.

Thanks for sharing your home improvement story AND your jar with us for T this Tuesday.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I didn't know they were painted glass either. I have done a TON of grouting. Ceramic tiles on the bathroom floor. I did a lot of grouting on outside pots and tables over the years. I used to sell them at craft shows. What's old is new again!!

What a bunch of bull on your shower. Especially in a new home. Stay TOUGH!!
xx, Carol

Divers and Sundry said...

I love that cup, too, and it would be a favorite here if it were in my cabinet :)

I hope your shower "fix" is permanent this time!

Betty from My Irish Cottage Home said...

I hate waiting on people, especailly when they give you an
all day wait time. In two years we will be fixing up our bathroom and we are going to hire someone to come in and refinish our tub and tile. A job we do not want to do. I love that mug, it is so pretty. I am a mug and candleholder nut. The candleholder is pretty too and perfect for this time of the year.

dawn said...

Hello and Happy T Day! Good for you sticking to your guns. No way should you have to keep it like that. Hope it works this time and you can enjoy having the bathroom again.
LOVE your jar, so pretty!
Thanks for sharing and have a nice day.

Linda Kunsman said...

I have never tried working with mosaic or grout work of any kind so I admire your beautiful tea holder. Thanks for the tips too. That is unbelievable to have such a new shower and have the same problem repeated again on top of it! Yes, you go girl and you get that marble fixed right-after all, you paid for it! Happy T day!

Krisha said...

Why do men think that women of our generation know NOTHING? I have been through this many, many times (not the shower thing) but having worked in the family concrete pipe and irrigation company, a cabinet manufacturing company and then a flooring store.... well, it is pretty darn hard to pull the wool over my eyes! LOL

I didn't realize those glass stones were painted either, but have come across many other glass things that were, so I'm not surprised. I really like the way your mosaic turned out, the sanded grout makes it have a more rustic look......I like that!

Happy T-day, hope your shower is back together in record time. Don't let them steam roll you....grin

Dianne said...

Your candle is so cool! and I didn't know about the gems being painted...so thanks for the heads up. must have been frustrating...in addition to your cracked shower story! wow. hope the replacement goes smoothly and is fixed permanently this time! happy T day!

pearshapedcrafting said...

I love that mug too! and your fab candle holder! Glad you are getting your shower fixed - it could be worse than a mess if if it wasn't fixed! Happy T day, Chrisx

Nancy said...

Thank you for sharing that bit of info, it looks like a fun project and yours is very pretty.
I, LOVE that cup too--it's gorgeous!
Hope the shower thing goes well and you have a happy T day :)

see you there! said...

What a clever re-use of a jar. I like the dark grout too instead of the usual white.

Keep at 'em until they get that shower right.

Darla

Craftymoose Crafts said...

I hate the way workers try to put one over on us women sometimes...glad you are getting the problem resolved for hopefully the last time.

Love the jar! I did not know the glass gems were painted, but I am very familiar with grout, having done two baths..walls and floors!

TwinkleToes2day said...

Happy T Day - your mosaic looks fabulous. Great recycling and I love the mermaid tail cup :o)

Rita said...

They most certainly should fix the shower again. Good grief! I helped grout a floor once many moons ago, but never anything small. Good to know about the painted gems. Happy T-Day!! :)

Carol said...

Well I'm glad you stuck to your guns and they are fixing the shower again.... Hopefully they will do it right this time :) Cute candle holder. Yes ... I learned that grouting lesson the hard way too :(

~*~Patty S said...

Sad that workmanship can be so shotty. Hope the redo holds for a long long time.
Your cup is pretty with tht mermaid tail!
Happy Day after T Day
oxo

Robyn said...

are they serious? why weasels!
love the candle holder and the cup. repeat at will!

Giggles said...

What a kerfuffle...hopefully it's straightened away very quickly!! The flowers are beautiful....I love how they turned out!!

Hugs Giggles

Carola Bartz said...

The cup is gorgeous and I try to remember where I saw it a few days ago. I had it in my hand and thought how beautiful it is!

Jeanne said...

Just be sure they should not be fixing your foundation. That is what my problem was when that happened to me. Frustrating!

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

Yay, success with the grout! It came out great.

Sounds to me like something is not level in that shower and the stress of uneven weight is causing cracks in the same place. Do you see any signs of the house shifting or settling - like cracks in the wall?

See http://www.onurmarblegranite.com/faqs.htm#2