Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Success and a Failure for Tea........




Click to Enlarge all photos!!

I braved the depths of my coffee cup shelves in an effort to show you a different mug....lol ...... I think its funny how each cup in my cupboard has had a turn at being my favorite mug only to be replaced by the next one that catches my eye.... 



I'am so sorry to bombard you with Halloween pictures but my crafting is kinda like my Christmas cactus that bloomed last week... Its kind of on its own time line...... 


And when i finish something or am very near to finishing something and i LOVE how it turned out i want to show you even if it is almost Thanksgiving........I HAVE told you the story of how all my unpainted ceramics came to be haven't i? Well just in case you are new to blog and have no idea what i'm talking about I'll tell you.... It was a most wonderful moment in my life..... Hubs and i well we don't have a whole lot in common except for the love we share for each other which is endless..... So we struggle to find things to do together... because we do love each others company.... 

One year we found out that the military base where hubby worked had a place where you could pour ceramics. So i took a class, then taught hubby and we spent several glorious months almost every weekend pouring ceramics of anything and everything i thought i might want as a knick knack in the house....... We would usually show up about 10am... pick the molds and clean them, strap them together , pour the slip (liquid clay) then go to lunch at the bowling alley...... Come back an hour later and the molds would almost always be ready to empty out...  

We were always so excited to open the molds. Opening a mold and having a successful piece was almost like Christmas every time. Then they have to dry and you scrape off all the seams and rough edges and then you have them fired. I paint mine with Acrylic paint then put a spray finish on them.....so mine are only fired once.... 


I just went and did a rough count and i got at least 50.... We just always said they would give me something to do in old age... lol .. I love having all these pieces to paint but the time spent with hubby was priceless.......

The tree and pumpkins are all drybrushed...... not that i really know what i'am doing when i dry brush but i try and i do like how it turned out. I used pearlescent paint on the ghost and he really does look like he glimmers and glows .......



And in an effort to keep it 'real' around here. I wanted to show you that not all projects turn out ALL the time....  Remember this project??? Well...............

This is what i ended up with one year later..........My weather proof/ waterproof glue.....well .... not so much......  However i do love this project and plan on giving it another go.... I have found some glue i'am much happier with .  I won't be attempting this again anytime soon as  a move is in my near future....Yes you heard that right.....My man has decided to retire and we are going to put the rat race of California in our rearview mirror.....  I'm sure i'll tell you lots more as time goes on.......But i think i'll give this project another chance in our new home.....Happy Tday my Tea People.... from over there at Elizabeth's and Bleubeards....Hugs! deb

22 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Wow!! Aren't you full of news!! As a 1 year retiree I say go as soon as you can!! I love my retirement and it definely true that you DO keep busy. Love the ceramic piece. You dry brushing looks perfect. I had to snicker at your jars with the mosaics laying on the ground. I recall some of my own projects that didn't hold up to the test of time.

Happy Thanksgiving.
Xx, Carol

The Weaver of Grass said...

There are some really lovely pieces here debs.

Dianne said...

love the ceramic story...will all those ceramics be moving with you? your drybrushing is quite good I think and love the finished effect. Happy retirement, and happy T day!

Bridget Larsen said...

I am in love with your cup collection and I love that glass jar project
Bridget #1

Neesie said...

I don't blame you for showing your wares Deb... now why does that sound a little rude :/
But you know what I mean.
I love that you always have something new to show whenever I show up here. It's always a delight.
I love that you enjoyed playing/working having special time with your hubby. It's really difficult to find something that both parties are interested in.
Hmm... a move is imminent then. I don't suppose you'll be coming to Bonnie Scotland... well not if you've been checking the weather reports! ;D
Have fun and enjoy your week
xoxo

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

Retirement and leaving the CA rat race? That's terrific news, Deb! I'm so happy for you.

You've mentioned the unpainted ceramics several times but I loved hearing the complete story.

I think your dry brushing technique looks excellent and the ghost really does glimmer.

Best of luck as you wind everything up in CA and set off for new horizons.

Hugs,

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Wow, I can't believe you guys just got to CA, or so it seems, and you are ready to leave. But I suspect this time, it will be on your terms and not to chase a job or complete a career.

The ghost is awesome, and I know you must be proud of the completed piece.

Jinx looks good in your header, too. Bleubeard even mentioned it (grin).

Thanks for sharing your ceramics with us for T this Tuesday. And have a lovely Thanksgiving, too.

Ariel said...

Your ceramic art is too good. It looks so wonderful.
Thank you for your comment on my blog. Sometimes it is overwhelming to see piles of art and art supplies all stashed in our small apartment. I hope soon I can share my art with others...
Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family
Susan

Craftymoose Crafts said...

I did ceramics many years ago with my mom. I loved the time we spent together too. I still enjoy using the pieces. I love your Halloween piece and what fun to have a stock to pick from.

see you there! said...

I sure like your ghostly ceramics. I am of course most interested in where you are headed - since you are leaving me behind here in CA, LOL!

Darla

Victoria said...

Deb, I love your ceramics! And, just a hint...not all of California is a rat race. There are lots of pockets of peace, although I have been giving serious consideration to moving because of the drought even though I live in one of those pockets. I'm beginning to wonder if it will ever end.

I look forward to hearing more about your hub's retirement and where you move to!

Blessings,

Victoria

CraftyViolet said...

I did ceramics about 30 years ago but I didn't pour my own. One I did was a small bust of Elvis. I'm a huge Elvis fan and my dtr who was about 10 at the time also decided she loved Elvis and claimed it as her own. She had it until a couple of years ago (age about 40) when a friend brought her cat for a visit and the cat knocked it off the shelf and smashed it. She emailed her hubby at work and said, "Elvis died"...so dramatic! I have yet to find a new one to make for her.

Love your cups and your finished Halloween piece.

Retirement is wonderful! I highly recommend it. Hope you still blog and stay in touch.

Vicki Miller said...

My hubby and I aren't strictly retired, yet, but we have left the rat race far behind! Good luck with it and I love your cat mug and the tree is wonderful!

Denise Price said...

I love your cat mug, and I'm sure Elizabeth's Bleubeard does too. :)

It was interesting reading about the ceramics hobby that you and your husband did together. Sounds like it was always a fun day out for you both.

Happy T Day!

froebelsternchen Susi said...

Fantatsic dishes and the project is lovely - hope you found the best glue now for the new start- Happy Thanksgiving and the best for the future!

Divers and Sundry said...

The ceramics story is fun :)

I am like you in that I have a variety of cups, and the favorite one changes.

Congrats on the upcoming retirement! Y'all will have such a great time together!

Betty from My Irish Cottage Home said...

We have alot in common. I love mugs and even though I too have a favorite one I will have another just as soon as I see one. I also made a project using those glass things and they lasted one year and came off. HA! HA!

loveofcollage said...

cool funky cup and I like your halloween pumpkins..shame about your lanterns as they looked cool

Rita said...

Oh, that brought back memories! When Dagan was just a toddler I took some evening ceramics classes. We didn't actually pour the molds but we had to clean the seams and I know the difference between the bisque firing for hand painting and the second firing for glazing. It was fun! Now I'm wondering if I still have the Raggedy Ann and Andy I painted for Dagan's room...or did I give them away decades ago? Happy Belated T-Day! :)

Lori said...

Congrats on the move - where are you going to put your new roots?

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Always a bit of both! Love that prarl paint, it worked so well. xox

kathyinozarks said...

Hi Deb, what a fun project for the both of you-that is exciting isn't it when you can do something together. I am curious now if you have decided on which state to move too
have an awesome day