Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Caswell Memorial State Park........




.......Over the Holidays we had a chance to explore a state park thats actually pretty close to us...... Wild grape vines have taken over a good portion of the park... It really gave it quite a haunted feeling......  We even found some grapes on the vine... teeny tiny things but they tasted amazing!!!  




So this state park sits right in the middle of agriculture country...Orchards and vineyards and fields of corn and maize and tomatoes....... The above photo is of a Walnut grove that ran along one side of the park....


And yes a river runs thru it... :)  It was so quiet and peaceful. I think we were the only ones in the park in December... 


Mushrooms were sprouting up everywhere.... The forest is mostly made up of  Black Oak trees and i would be remiss if i didn't tell you about the most amazing thing that happened on this trip... Hubs... well he doesn't always (never) wears his hearing aides... that is usually not a big deal, i'm kinda used to it... A problem only occurs when i want him to hear something that i hear and he can't... like on this trip... I kept hearing a 'pop', 'pop', 'pop'..... to me it sounded like nuts falling from a tree and that seemed perfectly normal to me that time of year , where we live.... so i mentioned it to him but he couldn't hear it...so we walked on... 'pop', 'pop', 'pop', ............. CRACK!!!!!............... and a twenty foot section of  the top of a tree came crashing down not 30 feet from us.... HOLY SH**!! I mean branches and such fall in the forest but how often are you in the right place at the right time... Scared the you know what out of me... 


 That popping sound had been the branch breaking little by little until it cracked.... We talked to the park ranger on the way out and told him about the tree and he said  'oh yeah thats normal around here... these are Black Oak trees and they do that all the time.. '  

We've been back out there since then and i keep my eye on the tree tops......lol

Now all my lovely Tea Drinkers over there at Elizabeth's ... I want you to close your eyes and picture my coffee mug with the tree design on it filled to the brim with Folger's coffee , 2 Equals, a dollop of milk and a Carmel Macchiato creamer and thats about as close i can come to a picture of what i'm drinking this morning...  I hope you have a happy Tea Tuesday!! Hugs! deb

14 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Ah, some things are best left to the imagination, anyway. What an amazing park. All of nature's bounty in close proximity.

Had to laugh at your clever story. It would have scared me, too. So, I guess a tree does make noise when it falls in the forest, and you have both visual and aural proof of it, too.

Thanks for sharing this park and your coffee with us for T this Tuesday, Deb.

Krisha said...

Hey there Deb! Happy T-day!

I also have the XS Pit pens for doodling, only 4 colors, and searching for more. I chose the brush tip this time, just for something a little different, and now looking for the brush tips in other colors......grin!

What a tree story! I do believe that would have scared the Sh** out of me too. Cool mushroom photos!

Thanks for visiting this week. How are the moving plans going????

froebelsternchen Susi said...

What a story! Thank you for the great impressions!

Happy T-Day!

Carol said...

Great story and your coffee sounds delish!!!!

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Good thing you were not a few feet closer!That was scary. One exceptionally icy winter my husband went out to check a pine tree as I watched from an upstairs window. I heard the pop and screamed run! Just in time.

Enjoyed seeing your beautiful photos of the day.

Linda Kunsman said...

I bet hubby wears the aids next walk in the park:):) That IS scary-thank goodness no one got hurt! It's a lovely park anyway and I'm always fascinated by the different mushrooms. Your coffee today sounds like a dessert to me. Happy T day!

Divers and Sundry said...

I love state parks! Thx for sharing photos of the one you visited. Grape vines can be fun to swing on, but I'm not sure how good they are for the trees. Sounds like y'all had an exciting trip :)

Rita said...

The odds must be better in that particular park, but I'd say they still aren't good. LOL! Wow!
Happy T-Day! :)

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

I was thinking what a wild and mysterious place to explore. Trees falling, well at the old house, all the time, so I got used to it. Thankfully never that close though. xox

Lori said...

Wow - I wonder how many people actually get hurt by those trees!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Fun place for a hike!! As I look out my window, I would need cross country skis or snow shoes. There is a beauty to it though. Frozen fog hangs from branches creating quite a winter wonderland. I'll watch from my side of the patio window...the other side is 2 degrees.
xx, Carol

Halle said...

What a lovely place to hike! Our last hiking trip we saw lots and lots of mushrooms as well. Ones I had never seen before.
Happy T day

loveofcollage said...

love the fungi

Jeanne said...

So glad you did not get bonked on the head with that branch. Scary!