Monday, February 2, 2015

Socked In..............



When we decided to make that trip to Mt Diablo a couple weeks ago just before hubs and i got sick we had been 'socked in' with fog for a week and a half..... We almost didn't go to Mt Diablo . Figured we wouldn't be able to see a thing



But the truth is we rose above the fog and it was extraordinary.... We were so, so glad we went... We just sat there on a picnic bench eating an apple , watching the tendrils of fog take over the valley. The fog was always moving , always changing...never still..... Amazing that we had the sun on our face and warming our backs when other people in the valley hadn't seen sun in over a week...  That by the way my tea drinkers is my liquid refreshment for the week....Fog... Mist...


I hope you will enlarge these photos by clicking on them. They are pretty amazing... I kept 'petting ' the moss that grew in all the shady areas on the mountain... I just think after years and years of living in a desert i'am just attracted to the color green.... lol




The picture above and below are soft limestone formations on the mountain that have been eroded from wind and rain... there is a section called ' Wind Caves' that is not to be missed... Unfortunately humans have left their marks too..... So many people felt it necessary to immortalize themselves in stone...names were carved everywhere.... it was very sad to see..... although i'am not condoning it , the above carving was pretty darn cool compared to all the 'Johnny loves Susie's '  ........ 




Below are a couple plants growing on the mountain... If anyone has idea what they might be i'd love to know.... 




Its been fairly warm for the last month around here. Lots of things are starting to grow...


This seal is at the very top of the mountain. There is a gift shop and lighthouse at the top...... The light was lit until WW11 , when they turned it off for fear of the Japanese using it as a beacon..... Now i believe it is turned on once a year to commemorate Pearl Harbor...  Hey i read the plaque but i don't always retain all that info... :)


Mt Diablo used to be a vacation spot for the rich in San Francisco back in the 20's and 30's.  Even had a hotel up there that has since burned down...  I could just imaging riding a wagon all the way to the top!  I hope you enjoyed the visit and your little taste of fog in the central valley , CA... They are predicting a rainy weekend for us this coming weekend. Maybe if everyone reading this crossed their fingers and toes maybe it will come true.... We just had our driest January on record.......Happy Tday!!! Hugs! deb


21 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

Looking at your photographs just makes me wish I lived near mountains rather than just the hills and dales of the scenery here.

see you there! said...

Enjoyed your visit to Mt. Diablo. I think the tea party is tomorrow (Tuesday). At least that's when I'm posting. Hope you link this tomorrow :-)

Darla

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Ah Deb, you were early to T this week. My T posts always go live at 4 pm CST or CDT on Monday afternoon. My 2nd posts go live at 12:00 am CST time every 2nd of the month. No fear. Please link to the T post when it goes live.

But since I'm here now, I'll just sit back and appreciate the view. I understand fog and the beauty of it. And I appreciate being ill. More than you will know, I'm sure. So it was good that you took in all that beauty and brought us with you.

Happy T Stands for Tuesday on the 2nd (grin). Thanks for (hopefully) playing in BOTH this week.

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Thanks for sharing your beautiful trip to My Diablo. It is so nice to see some green things growing!

TwinkleToes2day said...

Thanks for sharing info about your visit and the stunning photographs. You will have lovely memories for many a year. Happy t Day :o))

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Thanks for linking, dear.

Robyn said...

I was just out there visiting my oldest son, and enjoying the mists! thanks for the travelog!

Linda Kunsman said...

Oh I d much rather enjoy your foggy days than what we've been having for sure! Love that you were petting the moss-I'd have been doing the same:)Happy T day!

Jeanne said...

Wow so your fog shots are really awesome. I don't think I have ever been to this area, however, I did live for a year in Sausalito, and overlooked the golden gate bridge, so saw plenty of fog rolling in. It is pretty amazing when you are up above all of this and looking down in to the fog filled valleys, and your photos are awesome. Glad you enjoyed this day trip and hope you and your husband are over the flu. That is NO FUN! So far, fingers crossed, I have managed to avoid it, even though I had my grandson for a weekend and he came down with it at the beginning of the weekend. I took a ton of Airborne and got lucky. Love your photos and thanks for stopping by my blog! Best to you!

froebelsternchen Susi said...

great photos! Thank you for sahring!
Happy T-Day!
Enjoy !

Divers and Sundry said...

Thanks for taking us along on your trip. :) Your photos are wonderful. Such a beautiful view.

kathyinozarks said...

gorgeous photos-the hike to the top and views must have been just amazing.
Love the carved man in the stone but the grafitti pretty sad and they do it everywhere
have a good week
Kathy

Krisha said...

GREAT post Deb!! and the pictures are so pretty.
Years ago, when we had a cabin in the mountains we use to go up there and spend the weekend in the sun shine then come back home to the fog.......lots and lots of fog. It has been so dry we haven't really had the bad fog until we got some moisture this year........then it returned to remind us. Still I'm praying for more rain, hope it makes it this far south.
Stay well and warm.
Happy T-day

Dianne said...

I've seen that same 'mountain man' carving in wood, and think it is cool...just too bad it was done in this environment. love all the plant pics!

CraftyViolet said...

What a great trip that must have been. I love the mountains! I've been to both the west coast of Canada (B.C.) and the east coast (Atlantic provinces) and I loved the mountains, especially the ones with snow caps and fog moving through them. (Sigh)..I think need to go back to one of them.
Great photos. You will be taking back some lovely memories.

dawn said...

Hello and Happy T Day! I loved seeing all the gorgeous colors while we are covered with white snow everywhere. Thank you for sharing!

Ohhh Snap said...

The pink one looks like Arctostaphylus densiflora. It's been about 40 years since I've seen one, but I believe it's in that ball park at least. The fog is amazing : ). Glad you were able to go.

Rita said...

Being above the clouds is so cool!
I wonder if thousands of years from now somebody (maybe even aliens) will be trying to figure out what all the graffiti meant--LOL!
Happy very late T-Day! :)

Karla B said...

What a fascinating place!Love the flowers and the face!I'd like to visit it!

Hettie said...

What amazing photos you have in your post today. I was admiring the one on your header and what a treat you have given us in this post.
I live half way up a mountain and often we have fog below and sun on your house! It is a weird feeling.
Hugs and thanks for visiting.
xx

Eileen Bergen said...

Wonderful travelogue. Your pictures are beautiful. The pinkish white flowers sure look like lilies of the valley but the leaves are different. I wonder if it's a wild variety.