Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Won't You Come Inside...................


Let me apologize beforehand for this picture heavy post... In trying to figure out just how to show you the house without overloading you with pictures.... i decided to show you the top floor first and the bottom floor next week... Won't you be glad when we get back to some arts and crafting ? I know i will.....


Okaaay... you just stepped inside my front door in the above photo. This house is a split level ... You can't tell by the photo but its a pretty high ceiling here.. i could do lots with that in the decorating department... 


Turn to your right and this is what you see...Yes the entire house is painted one color...beige... its a beige , beige world... From the photos i'm not sure if you can feel the 70's vibe in here... but truly in person ..for us anyway.. it was like stepping back in a time warp...Most especially in the lighting fixtures...  I'll have to take photos of those and show you sometime...as they don't really stand out to much in the photos i took...



Closeup of that fireplace... Hubby really doesn't like the aesthetics of this one... i don't mind it so much... ofcourse in my heart of hearts i'd like a stone fireplace but since neither one of us knows how to rock a fireplace nor do i think we can afford to have someone do it ... we will learn to embrace this one... any suggestions...


Okay look back up at the second photo... if you go around the corner to the left you will find my kitchen.... um...yeah... I was shocked but my stainless steel  frig that we lugged from CA actually fit in the hole....  Look at the floor...why would you continue the linoleum but put that bar across like that...why not put the bar across right at the edge of the linoleum and have a larger kitchen?? 




Aaannd... around the corner of that bar.....We will be having to make this kitchen work for awhile so i gave it a good scrubbing an i'm still trying to fit all my gadgets in there..


Now at the top of the stairs... if you went left instead of right you would have walked down the hall and that first door is the bathroom....



Rug in the bathroom.... so not a fan.. so this will go at some point...the wallpaper is peeling off the walls...the lattice....and plastic flowers...there was an inch of dust and dirt on all of that...so not staying but it did give me ideas...you'll just have to wait and see..




Continue down the hall and you come to three bedrooms... one a 10x10 the smallest that will be our guest bdrm and a medium size room... 11x13 which will be our office... The above room is the master bedroom 14.5x13 ... with attached bath and a walkin closet... See that door on the right? Another closet?....


Thats where you'll find our 'throne room' ... yep.. right IN the bedroom... AND it has its own window .. what the heck?! and a little sink... The master bath was definitely an add on at some point... 


It even has a back door... geesh... well we plan on taking that door out... Not sure why you'd want so many windows in a bathroom but i have to say i love the light and there are no close neighbors and hey.... i can always close the blinds...  I'd like to put a tub in the area in the above picture...


Let me just say...people were shorter in the 70's... all the vanities are so low.... Jinx is checking out the fake plant the previous owner left behind.... 

And last but not least... the master bath shower that i have to turn sideways to get thru the door....and the shower head isn't even above MY head much less hubs... yeah... there are things to do....lots of things to do...  And this is only the top floor... But first we are working on the bones of the house... updating the electrical and plumbing and making sure we are well insulated and changing the fireplaces over to natural gas (hubs asthma doesn't do well with wood fires) so we can use them this winter incase the electric goes out... seems the prudent things to do... 

The fun decorating stuff , the stuff i know you really want to see will have to come later... I hope you enjoyed the peek inside...I'll show you downstairs next week then maybe we can get back to some art... i have things to show you... While waiting for this house there wasn't much else i could do but sketch and draw... so stay tuned... I'm linking with Ms. Elizabeth over tea this morning... (um ... coffee...)  I want thank everyone for your well wishes and comments.. they really mean alot!  Big hugs! deb

21 comments:

Divers and Sundry said...

Our home is also from the 70s, so I look forward to seeing what you do with yours. I might get ideas :) Happy T Tuesday!

Krisha said...

Weelllllll, you have a large canvas to work with in this house....*grin* That kitchen layout had me wondering the same thing.....I think I'd move that bar out even with the wall, at least. I watch WAAAAAY to many remodeling shows on TV LOL!!

Can't wait for the next level to be exposed.....

Happy T-day

Linda Kunsman said...

we have an old home so I see some similarities here:):) It looks so bright and airy though and I can hear your wheels a turning with ideas -what a nice palette to play with!! Thanks for sharing your lovely new home. Looking forward to next stages too. Happy T day!

Dianne said...

oh...your house has lots of possibilities. You will make it work and I know you will end up with something you love! it is interesting what 'other people' do with their homes and you just wonder, "what were they thinking?!" I could tell you stories...but anyway, glad you got moved and are settling in. looking forward to the ongoing story! happy T day!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

So glad you shared your main floor and upstairs with us for T this Tuesday. I would get rid of those "bars" that run the length of the counter/bar that separates the kitchen from the dining area. Then I do as Krisha suggested and move the bar out. Of course, when you do that, you will need to replace the linoleum, which is an expense you don't need right now. However, getting rid of those very 70s "bars" will go a long way toward updating it.

I don't "get" the living area near the fireplace. Why did they add the step? Not very safe, if you ask me, and in the dark, there is not enough difference in the step and the rest of the floor. However, I DO like the fireplace. I think the wood mantel is quite nice, but I suspect if you get rid of the molding above the fireplace, you'll like it better.

Thanks for sharing this with us for T this Tuesday.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I forgot to mention how much I envy those short cabinets. Being 4'11" tall, that would be a great height for me. Mine are all too tall for me. But I agree that my vanity is shorter than my kitchen cabinets which are WAY too tall for me. Even so, it's taller than I like. Be aware, my vanity was brand new when I moved in, so it's not just a 70s thing. I think it might be an industry standard. Even my pedestal sink in the basement bath is the same size/height.

TwinkleToes2day said...

What an exciting time ahead, to change things up as you decide what you want/need to do. I'm in the minority here I reckon, cos I love that fire place, lol. And the storage space in the main bath is wonderful! I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do. I'm so happy for you.
Many thanks for your lovely comment on my post Deb, I really appreciate your kindness. Happy T Day. Happy June :o)) xo

kathyinozarks said...

Hi and thanks for the tour inside. Looks like lots of space along with lots of design potential. do you ever watch Property Brothers on hgtv? they are so good at designing and re doing older homes. they have redone tons of fireplaces too-perhaps online they share some ideas.
Have fun with it all

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks for the guided tour - look forward to seeing what you do with the spaces. Home is where the heart is - that's the important thing to remember.

Carol said...

I'm seeing so many possibilities my head is spinning. You look to have good bones there and you'd be amazed at what just a bit of paint can do to wake things up. Good luck and can't wait to see what's up next ♥

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Thank you for inviting us in to see part of your new house. A lot of work but very exciting! We have a stone fireplace with the same kind of step or low level like yours, but we don't have a mantle which I would have loved! Oh well, nothing is perfect. The lattice/flowers is the kind of thing that seems like a good idea at the time until you have to dust it, LOL!
Have fun and keep us up to date!

Rita said...

Oh my! This is going to be an adventure! Yes, it was like stepping back in time, but I can picture a lot of things that will change over time. You guys will transform it, I know. What fun!! Happy T-Day! :)

CraftyViolet said...

Thanks for the tour! Well now I can see why you hung in there until you got this house. Although it needs updating it has so much potential. I'm with hubby on the fireplace - it lacks something - like stone!! Yeah, I'm with you there - I love a stone fireplace. Well hubby won't be bored being retired for awhile as I'm sure you have a long "honey-do" list for him.

~*~Patty S said...

Very excited for you. That looks like a wonderful roomy place. How nice that you'll get to tailor it to your liking too!
Happy June Deb
oxo
p.s. thank you for popping by my Magpie's Nest

froebelsternchen Susi said...

This house has so much charme and seems to be quite comfortable! Yes so much to do... but don't mind - we renovate since 4 years and no end in sight ---lol!
It's a journey....
Happy June Deb!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

In our younger years we would have had fun with your place...now, not so much. But I can see there is a lot of decorating potential and I know you are going to enjoy working on it. It's so much easier if you don't have a 9-5!!

Thanks for the tour. It's a lot like our 2nd home.
xx, Carol

Beth P said...

I just popped over from Carol at Beads and Birds to say Hi. I love house tours even if I shudder at the work ahead of you. I love the planning and decorating part but the structural bones not so much, LOL! Not that anyone really likes that part! I look forward to seeing things as they progress and will be by for a visit often. I'm your newest follower by the way.
Hugs for now,
Beth P

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

What a fun and big blank canvas for you to begin to make your own. Looks like nice juicy spaces to play in. You will figure out the fireplace, but I think you can get "flat" rock to put on that wall. You might be surprised at what you can do yourself...Good luck, so glad you are happy. xox

see you there! said...

So interesting to see your new place. It is daunting but also exciting to have all that new space to work with. Just a word, when you switch from wood to gas for the fireplace be sure the gas fireplace works without electricity. Experience here. Our gas insert has an ELECTRIC starter. Not too useful if the electricity is out. DH has in the past found a work around and been able to start it with a match but we would have checked for options if we had thought it through.

Darla

Karla B said...

Love your home. It is charmimg and full of possibilities. It is interesting to see how different our homes are. We don't have fireplaces here. My home is from the 60's. It is an old one. But I love to open my window and contemplate the see every day. It is inspiring.

Much love

Karla

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

Beige walls = blank canvas for you, Deb. Thank you for the tour. I can see you have your work cut out for you, but oh - the possibilities! I'm not bothered by the fireplace either, but agree it would look better in stone. Can you remove all the wood trim and put on stone facing? You'd have to tone down or cover that shiny tile. What a shame where the kitchen bar was placed. Moving or replacing that and getting rid of the 70s rails would be high on my priority list. They looked nice back then; now they look like a jail cell. All that said, I think you guys picked up quite a jewel!