Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Serendipity.............


..........some luck and good fortune went into the making of these postcards.... I'm hoping the recipients have received them by now...



...... it all started when i found these cat silhouettes at the craft store. I fell in love with them... didn't know what i was going to do with them but i HAD to have them...lol


.........then we stopped at an Estate Sale... and i only found one thing... a package of fancy tissue paper for $1... I'm always torn when i go to Estate Sales.... I like them because i tend to find some of the best, most interesting things at reasonable prices. But then i find them sad... sad that someone's life is laid out with price tags and people picking thru it...  These were all things that meant something to someone at some time . Meant enough for them to hang onto....


Well you all know i create my PostCards on cereal chipboard . I sand the glossy side... add gesso if needed then i painted it turquoise, let that dry and glued the tissue paper on top with matte medium... placed my kitties... and used a 'smile' stamp with archival ink and stamped here and there... Then i pulled out the Gellatos... which are little lipstick tubes of color if you haven't heard of them and using my fingers moistened with a baby wipe to enhance the colors already on the tissue paper... Then i used my Pitt Pen (which goes over anything) to outline some of the flowers better...

The finishing touches were splattered paint... thats always quite the experience.. no control over splatters...fun but nerve wracking for a control freak like me... I cut the butterflies out of a pamphlet for a Butterfly House... glued them down and topped them off with glossy accents... gives them a nice raised feel... Last but not least i put gold paint in some of the flower centers.........


All that inspired me to do a canvas!  I have no idea where i'm going to hang it but i wanted to give it a go... Its 7" x 14"... Its not quite done yet as we speak.. I'm doing the splattering and yes i'm procrastinating...lol 


Look what i found at Hobby Lobby!! Whale tails!!! They are painted cast iron...I found them in their wonderful , perpetual clearance section.. They were on individual little boards but i want them all on one long board. I have a place in my walk in closet for hooks and i thought they would be great to hang our pajamas on etc... Stay tuned......

And last but not least my cup of java for My Tea People... I've had a story on my brain for a while now.... Hubby dreams alot... either i don't dream much or i just don't remember my dreams........ but his dreams are a virtual bottomless well of ideas for storylines... and i've decided to take one and run with it... I've always wanted to write a book... Who knows if anything will come of it but right now its been fun entertainment over coffee in the morning...  

A busy day planned today... cutting hubby's hair... mowing the grass...etc...lol but i will be around to visit everyone but perhaps a bit late... So good to see you!!! Hugs! deb

19 comments:

Dianne said...

I recognize that tissue paper! I used to have some (I think it was from Hallmark?) and saved every tiny bit to use in collage--it was so pretty. So yes, you got a great deal and your art work turned out gorgeous! happy T day!

Valerie-Jael said...

Love the new header, and the gorgeous postcards you made. I know what you mean about estate sales etc, it is a strange feeling, but I lie using things that other people have used and owed before me. Love the whale tales, too, great find! Have a great week and a happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

~*~Patty S said...

It is fun to visit with creative you Deb.
You used the cat silhouettes beautifully.
I have the same feelings about others "stuff" but in the end if I do take something home I feel good about it being honored and given a new life.
How nice to have a dreamy husband LOL for inspiration :-)
Happy T Day oxo

Lori said...

Those postcards are amazing!

Linda Kunsman said...

great new banner-and OMG- I have that same tissue paper and have had it for quite some time!!! I love your postcards with the darling kitty silhouettes and the whale's tales-what another lucky find. I know what you mean about estate sales and auctions. I once bid on and got a box of 40's magazines and vintage Christmas booklets but also in the box was a set of hand stampe and colored cards with initials on the back. Being a cardmaker myself I just had to hold on to them and plan on sending them out once I type up the reason for them:) It was sad to see them left behind.

loveofcollage said...

love your cat pages

Lisca Meijer said...

Those cards (and kitties) are stunningly beautiful! Wow! and Wow! again.
What great use of Gelatos. I have the tropical color pack but I have never used them...Perhaps I should be making postcards too. After all, sending (and receiving) postcards is my hobby through Postcrossing.

Happy T-Day,
Lisca

Meggymay said...

Fantastic board cards with the silhouette cats. Its a difficult call to buy and use something in a sale like you did. Here in the UK its mainly Charity Shops and we know that, by buying items there, the charities will be gaining in the future.
Happy Tuesday.
Yvonne

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

I love seeing updates on the house renovation, but it's wonderful to see a total art post from you after so long! Demolition, floating and stripping certainly didn't diminish your talent. It has just been pent up and waiting to burst forth.

There's such a sense of adventure in what you shared today. All the layers and different mixed media techniques - wow.

I know what you mean about estate sales and paint splattering.

I'm sure you'll find a special spot for the canvas and I bet Jinxxy will be very pleased to have his portrait hanging in the new house ;-)

Remind me to tell you about the first time I cut hubby's hair and gave him a reverse Mohawk. He cuts his own with a Flobee now. lol.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Those cat postcards are adorable. Unlike others, I have not seen that tissue paper before.

I also have trouble with estate sales, but in my town, the items are priced so high, you can buy things at garage sales or in thrift stores for far less. For example, one estate sale I went to, they wanted $10.00 for every hard bound book and $4.00 for each paperback. At another, I wanted a bug whacker (electric), but they wanted $50.00 for it. I can get a brand new one with a warranty for less than that at the big box home improvement stores. I agree that it's hard to pick over what had been someone's life and you start thinking about your own mortality, too.

It sounds like you are on to something about your husband's dreams. When I was in school, my professor and mentor studied dreams and dream states. When I told him I didn't dream, or at least I didn't remember them, he was surprised, because it's a given that everyone, including animals dream during REM sleep. He suggested it was stress, but I have practically NO stress in my life, and I still don't remember my dreams.

Thanks for shaing your cat postcards and canvas art with us for T this Tuesday. Thanks, too for sharing your coffee and writings that your husband shares with you, too.

My name is Erika. said...

I think your kitty pieces are fun. You added a lot of interest with all the details. And I think you scored with those whale tails, and none of those mixed feelings like at an estate sale. I should write down my dreams because I always have some weird ones- and in color. But my hubby always has movie dreams-they are like full fledged films, unlike mine which are more like little scenes that don't relate to each other. Happy T day. Hugs-Erika

johanna said...

what a fantastic Array of cat-cards! thanks for sharing the process, they turned out so beautifully. had to laugh about the splashes and the control Freak, i know that... love the whale tales, they will be of bautiful use!
have a nice week!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I enjoyed reading your process for creating these really cool postcards and canvas, though I admit I don't know what most of the products you used to create them.

They say all people dream and if you think you don't it's just because you don't remember them. I don't. Like your Hubs, Terry does remember his. He's always asking me what one or the other means. I tell him they are not premonitions, but come from deep inside and usually brought on by things in his sub-conscience. I've read a lot about what dreams mean. The subject fascinates me.

I know what you mean about estate sales. I hope that when I am gone my daughter will obey my wishes to give my craft and sewing supplies to organizations that I have named that support educating those less fortunate than us and teach them thread and needle art. Far more valuable than the few dollars they could be sold for.

xx, Carol

Divers and Sundry said...

Remembering dreams can take some training and practice but sometimes -as you say- they can lead to wonderful explorations! Happy T Tuesday on Wednesday :)

The Weaver of Grass said...

Some lovely ideas here Debs.
You certaily write a good letter so I would give writing a book a try.
Letter on its way by the way.

froebelsternchen Susi said...

Wow the cards turned out fantastic Deb! Your new header ist super!

oxo Susi

CraftyViolet said...

I feel the same way about estate sales but I figure I am honouring the person who originally had the items by using them for him/her. Love, love, love your postcards! The whale tails will make excellent hooks and so much more fun to look at then plain old hooks.

Rita said...

Sorry it took me so long to get here. You don't have the follow by email option and I'm not n the T-Day group now. Anyways, I LOVE my postcard!! It's taken me quite a while to respond because I haven't been feeling very well, but I finally started a letter back. :) :)

Krisha said...

I LOVE mine and having it sitting in my window above my PC.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the canvas idea and it looks fantastic!